Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Mazda5

  1. #11
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks for this Stephen. I've been looking at VW Golfs, but the B-Max is exactly what we need. I'm seeing that the swivel seat can be done separtely, so I'm looking for a used B-Max we can add onto (I never buy new cars if I can avoid it). I know this won't help anyone in the US, but for folks in Europe, this is the swivel seat by a company in Sweden, that is available in most of Europe: Turnout BIS, B-Max | Autoadapt

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    This Ford B-Max would make a great choice for wheelers. Not available, however, in the US.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks for this Stephen. I've been looking at VW Golfs, but the B-Max is exactly what we need. I'm seeing that the swivel seat can be done separtely, so I'm looking for a used B-Max we can add onto (I never buy new cars if I can avoid it). I know this won't help anyone in the US, but for folks in Europe, this is the swivel seat by a company in Sweden, that is available in most of Europe: Turnout BIS, B-Max | Autoadapt
    Not sure how good a car it is -- I've read mixed reviews -- but design-wise it would be exactly what I'd want. I'm surprised that more manufacturers don't offer pillarless cars. If safety is not compromised, I don't see any benefit to having a center pillar.
    Last edited by stephen212; 03-30-2014 at 09:42 PM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,226
    I've also read mixed reviews, but I think in our situation I would forgoe some of the issues that were mentioned. And it is cheaper than some of our other options that don't address accessibility as well.

    We have an old Saab that is currently defunct in our driveway with the electronics shot, so I really need to do something soon. I've kind of made a game out of how long we can do without a car, but my luck is going to run out sometime soon....

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Not sure how good a car it is -- I've read mixed reviews -- but design-wise it would be exactly what I'd want. I'm surprised that more manufacturers don't offer pillarless cars. If safety is not compromised I don't see much of any benefit to having a center pillar.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  4. #14
    I'm not certain, given the variable widths, but I'm told the door opening on a B Max is not enough for 'a' wheelchair, nor on the Fiat Qubo. They (and the BMW one, whose name escapes me) are suitable for use with a folding chair. But I absolutely need the b pillar, for both getting in and getting out. So I am considering trying out the Mazda5.

    Elarson, do you know of any European equivalents to the SpeediLift? I know Kivi Mobility in Italy make a Pillar Lift, but it may only be for folding chairs -I haven't checked

  5. #15
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    So where are the pix?

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So where are the pix?
    Seriously!! All wheel drive and no action.

  7. #17
    Senior Member elarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,226
    Amyk, I think you are meaning the Speedy-Lift http://www.adaptsolutions.ca/products/index.php?prd=4? We have not been in the market for a lift, because I am the lift , so I can't help a lot. Here are a few options that I know of for loading wheelchairs:

    EDAG Wheelchair Loading Device http://www.edag-rollstuhl-ladehilfe.de/en/
    Autochair's EasyLoader wheelchair system http://www.autochair.co.uk/store/wheelchair-lifts-for-independence/easyloader
    SDL Abi-Loader http://www.steeringdevelopments.co.u...les/abi-loader
    B&S Side-door loading systems http://www.onbeperktinbeweging.nl/Si...ingsystems.htm

    [QUOTE=amyk;1728014Elarson, do you know of any European equivalents to the SpeediLift? I know Kivi Mobility in Italy make a Pillar Lift, but it may only be for folding chairs -I haven't checked[/QUOTE]
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

  8. #18
    Right now i have a 2009 Mazda5 with the speedy lift and it is awsome. I get in or out in 10 seconds. Does anybody have any news if there will be a 2015 Mazda5 and if it will have the Skyactive.

    Thanks......

  9. #19
    Question for the Mazda5 owners: Is this Mazda5's lack of power seats an issue for you?

    I went to a Mazda showroom yesterday to check it out, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I like the idea of being able to pull my chair into the back without having to remove the wheels. It's unfortunate, however, that there is no power seat option on any of the Mazda5s (Sport, Touring, Grand Touring). Clearly others are making this car work for them despite this, so that's encouraging.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Question for the Mazda5 owners: Is this Mazda5's lack of power seats an issue for you?

    I went to a Mazda showroom yesterday to check it out, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I like the idea of being able to pull my chair into the back without having to remove the wheels. It's unfortunate, however, that there is no power seat option on any of the Mazda5s (Sport, Touring, Grand Touring). Clearly others are making this car work for them despite this, so that's encouraging.

    My daily driver is a Mazda5 (with a home built conversion for getting the chair in), and no power seat is no problem. On longer trips the wife and we take her Bonneville, which has a power seat. And my old van used to have a power seat. Now that I have used them all, I actually prefer the non power seat of the Mazda5. Much faster and can't break down. Reaching underneath and pushing/pulling off the steering wheel is never a problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Mazda5 with a Car Topper?
    By jtemple4 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM
  2. MAZDA5 - very accessible
    By maestro in forum Equipment
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •