Thread: Not Kidding - Fried my thermostat with electric shock.

Unhappy Not Kidding - Fried my thermostat with electric shock.

Does anyone else have trouble with constant static shocks?

It's been a long, cold winter and I attribute it primarily to lack of humidity in house combined with electric w/c use.

I roll along and I'm Electro from Marvel comics! Everyone / everything I touch - zap!

went to increase heat on thermostat the other day - zap! Display is FUBAR now.

FML.

I have to touch something before I touch my dog or her poor nose gets a jolt. Is this all power chair users or just those who have synthetic carpeting in their house? I seem to be ok returning home as long as I am on the hardwood floored areas.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

You should be able to eliminate the static build up the same way people do their cars/trucks. Hang a small chain or flexible wire from the metal from of your chair so that it makes contact with the carpet/ground or whatever. Obviously you need to use something that is not noisy or will not scratch the floor>
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Get a Nest thermostat, you can change it from your kindle/ipad/phone/computer

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Does anyone else have trouble with constant static shocks?

It's been a long, cold winter and I attribute it primarily to lack of humidity in house combined with electric w/c use.

I roll along and I'm Electro from Marvel comics! Everyone / everything I touch - zap!

went to increase heat on thermostat the other day - zap! Display is FUBAR now.

FML.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You should be able to eliminate the static build up the same way people do their cars/trucks. Hang a small chain or flexible wire from the metal from of your chair so that it makes contact with the carpet/ground or whatever. Obviously you need to use something that is not noisy or will not scratch the floor>
    Christmas tree icicles or metallic garland will work. Back in the day, when I worked around high speed printing equipment, we used to wrap that stuff around our shoes to keep from getting zapped.
    Last edited by willingtocope; 03-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.

I have the same problem in winter. Fried two alarm clocks, worry about my laptop.

Hanging the chain did not help, still got shocks.

One thing I do, I have a steel desk for my computer, so I make sure my wheelchair touches first to get rid of the static electricity. Can hear it spark.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I would try old fashioned, rubber static straps that used to drag behind the bumpers of cars in the '60's. Would need to attach to the frame under the chair and be short enough to stay away from the wheels,
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Aren't the rubber wheels enough? I have a low Q'Strain docking hitch underneath and I think that is what causes the static in the bedroom and part of the living room where we have carpet. This wasn't much of a problem until this year and this is our first winter with the docking hookup for the new van.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.