Thread: Calling tech support, with a brain injury

Calling tech support, with a brain injury

I had a horrible computer crash this morning and worked very hard to find a solution. I had to talk with tech support. I think only people with a brain injury can understand how hard it is to talk with a CSR at tech support. They were asking questions and giving directions much faster than I could understand. I needed him to slow down. Once while talking with Apple after I had bought an iPod, I told the CSR I had an injury and he was very patient. I appreciated that so much. This time the tech support was in India (not with Apple) and I was afraid to mention it, I feared the person would not understand.

When I am able to tell people I have a brain injury and they understand it is so wonderful, they work with me to help me understand and my stress goes way down. Most of the time I can't really mention it and the world is a hard place when your brain is, well it's my brain so I can say it - screwed up.

Thank god my fiance' and all my close friends know. They are very understanding.

It seems to me that it takes so little effort to help most people with brain injuries, I wish more people were willing.

INTERESTING!!! What you just described here is the same stuff I have. I cannot get anybody to do this. Even my family at times. Can I ask. What is your brain injury that does not allow you to comprehend the sound waves fast enough so you can actually understand? I assume you are able to talk just fine. I am. I have told doctors what you describe here and they just blow me off. I am ready to beat them with a baseball bat. Really, I cannot use a phone. There is 1 place I do use a phone. That is to order a pizza once in a while for delivery. Only reason I understand them on the phone is because I sort of have the conversation memorized what I say and what their response is.

With MS...its called "brain fog"...and its really quite common. I find that there some movies and shows on TV that I can't follow because the images come too quickly.

On the other hand, Indian tech support is another matter entirely. You either get the newbies that are working from a script and have no idea where they're headed, or a propeller head who wants to get you off the phone so he can get back to World of Warcraft. And both have accents that the "fog" takes time to cut thru.

You might want to ask for a supervisor to help you if the tech support person you first reach is not willing/able to help you appropriately. Unfortunately, most lay people know so little about brain injury or other causes of cognitive slowing that telling you have a TBI and need them to go slower will not mean much at all to them.

(KLD)

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I've told the call center people in India and the Philippines that I am handicapped and they understood that more time or understanding was required. Some are more understandable than others, especially the women.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I am not feeling too well so please forgive me for not responding earlier. Tech support, like most things, can be challenging. It is so nice when the other person can be understanding and I have found that mentioning brain damage does often help though not always since some people still don't understand. I think in my next life I will choose not to be disabled, this isn't turning out as fun as the brochure said ;-)

I like your next life choice. This won't work for phone service, but if someone is in my way and really ignores the wheelchair for extended period of time, I simply tell them if they do not move, I will run them over and then they will be in wheelchair.