Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (on Kickstarter) Horizon: The Disability Proof All-Terrain Electric Bike

Blog Entries
    OK, thanks for that detail. I had assumed it was the platform, itself. Glad to find out otherwise!

nonoise, for DYI types One-Off offers their bike's plan and instructions. Including how to substitute basic tools for some of what they do with machining. Thought that was nice of them!

-scott-, does the Reactive recumbent have a powered option?

This bike looks quite good, also! Made near me, too. Very interested, but these things are just so costly. That's a shame. Can't help but wonder what the margins are on these things.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I just want to make myself available for any questions or ideas related to the Horizon trike. Thanks Scott for your support and answering the questions that have been asked so far.

In regard to "Are these guys another licensee of One-Off, like Reactive? Looks quite similar."

-Outrider USA is not affiliated with One-Off in any way, and we are not a licensee of them. We've been building and selling high performance electric trikes since 2009, and are translating that experience and skill into a new product, the Horizon trike, that incorporates improved chassis design (full suspension) and several adaptations that open up independent off-road cycling to more people.

For an example of what I'm talking about with off-road use, check out this video... I just finished it up last night:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXL3xH-wQlk

First impressions of the Horizon? Can you point out anything that jumps out at y'all that we could improve?

Thanks- Jesse Lee, Outrider

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    -scott-, does the Reactive recumbent have a powered option?
    Yup. I have a BionX kit on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by OutriderUSA View Post
    Thanks Scott for your support and answering the questions that have been asked so far.
    Sure thing. I want to see you guys succeed.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Carecure, and thanks for participating! Start a thread in the Manufacture and Vendor subforum with an intro and links to your .com site. (This area is for end user discussions!)

These trikes look great and I'm sure hopeful for you guys to succeed. We need as many players making gear for us, and doing so well.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Will do - thank you!

Welcome to Carecure, and thanks for participating! Start a thread in the Manufacture and Vendor subforum with an intro and links to your .com site. (This area is for end user discussions!)

These trikes look great and I'm sure hopeful for you guys to succeed. We need as many players making gear for us, and doing so well.
    Hope I haven't stepped on any toes by posting here - Just wanted to let y'all know I'm available. I'll post over at the Manufacturer and Vendor subforum - thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OutriderUSA View Post
    Hope I haven't stepped on any toes by posting here - Just wanted to let y'all know I'm available. I'll post over at the Manufacturer and Vendor subforum - thanks for the tip!
    Not at all!! I'm fairly certain I speak for the lion's share of Carecure Equipment forum users when I say we really appreciate it when folks affiliated with adaptive equipment companies participate. This forum is an invaluable resource for those of us forced into this market, one way or another! Nothing else like it exists on the web, or in print. Maintaining a clear distinction between end-user discussions/feedback and commercial entities is one of the reasons the data compiled here over the years is so valuable to us, is all. No worries! It is also valuable to have direct dialogue with vendors and manufacturers! It's all about sharing data points and feedback, at the end of the day. Thanks again for taking the time to sign up and make yourself/your organization available. That says a lot!

Not at all!! I'm fairly certain I speak for the lion's share of Carecure Equipment forum users when I say we really appreciate it when folks affiliated with adaptive equipment companies participate. This forum is an invaluable resource for those of us forced into this market, one way or another! Nothing else like it exists on the web, or in print. Maintaining a clear distinction between end-user discussions/feedback and commercial entities is one of the reasons the data compiled here over the years is so valuable to us, is all. No worries! It is also valuable to have direct dialogue with vendors and manufacturers! It's all about sharing data points and feedback, at the end of the day. Thanks again for taking the time to sign up and make yourself/your organization available. That says a lot!
    Ok, great! I'll be over here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...y-Outrider-USA

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Their pedal/electric cost 12 grand. Probably about the cost of the quad friendly pedal ones from Bike-On. If one could afford to give kickstarter 8 grand, you may be driving one in December.

Less than half the cost of my powerchair.

Like to see on Shark Tank. What's 100 grand to those folks.

If I had a Segway conversion and one of these, I would never be home.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-26-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    How is what you designed DIY? You still had a skilled shop build it.

Regardless, will you post a photo?
    Put a modified bicycle e-kit on a stock recumbent trike. I got help because this was my first build and I had some concerns that addressed my needs such as:
    1. I wanted reverse. Forward only is fine for AB, but I could see me needing the ability to back up.
    2. I needed power to get up hills *without* pedaling, and even then I had to upgrade to actually be able to get up those hills. I'm now at about 1,700 watts if I understand the math correctly. The local e-bike shop was very helpful and accommodating to my needs upgrading battery/charger and controllers.
    3. Another requirement was to have a trike that did not depend on demand for power. Power assist is what the term is often called. It means that it senses your need for help by how hard you pedal before activating. That system was simply not acceptable. I wanted and needed a gas pedal, and they do have smooth operating motorcycle type twist handles that accelerate from zero, smoothly and continuously if twisted further to wide open throttle. The trike shop had a couple of ideas such as using Schwalbe Big Apple tires and adding fenders.
    4. The trike had to be accessible. This rover has a higher than average seat which I can transfer into and out of.
    What it is lacking is suspension and "power steering". At $700 for the bare trike I accepted those shortcomings. The Big Apples at low pressure help absorb road shock.
    Here is a video we made before some of the upgrades: http://youtu.be/qAEYzhsFZ4g
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Good job no.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt