Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: (on Kickstarter) Horizon: The Disability Proof All-Terrain Electric Bike

(on Kickstarter) Horizon: The Disability Proof All-Terrain Electric Bike

This is one of the more intriguing Kickstarter projects I've seen in the adaptive equipment realm. I backed it.

Go read about it here (and check out their videos/etc):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ll-terrain-awe

On Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/OutriderUSA

Looks cool.

Yup.

Here's what the $ they're after is going toward:

- Finalizing frame design (incorporating batteries within frame)
    - Developing hand cycle + electric assist system
    - Finalizing tri-pin control design
    - Adapting electronically actuated seat to chassis/battery system

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Super cool. Backed.
    Thanks scott.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

It is good to see someone is trying to help develop something, but if you can't wait, it is a do it yourself project. I designed one and had it built at bicycle shops specializing in recumbents and electrics.
    Most of this is all easily built using off the shelf standard e-bike products. The elevator seat which seems to be under development, and the foot rest shown above appear to be the unique features. Caution is advised if thinking about using without a chain drive, that is electric only equipped. My state and I think all require pedal or hand assist to qualify as bikes and not motorcycles.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    It is good to see someone is trying to help develop something, but if you can't wait, it is a do it yourself project. I designed one and had it built at bicycle shops specializing in recumbents and electrics.
    How is what you designed DIY? You still had a skilled shop build it.

Regardless, will you post a photo?

I'm interested also in your DIY project. I've been desperately wanting to get back on some local singletrack trails and as someone with limited arm strength this looks like the ticket. However, reserved caution with any of these starter projects. It looks like they're going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    ...reserved caution with any of these starter projects. It looks like they're going in the right direction.
    True, but fortunately this isn't their first rodeo with recumbent bikes or electric power. It's just the first time they're branching into the adaptive realm. Check http://www.outriderusa.com/ – they know their stuff.

Blog Entries
    Are these guys another licensee of One-Off, like Reactive? Looks quite similar.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Are these guys another licensee of One-Off, like Reactive? Looks quite similar.
    The only issue with licensing from One-Off is based on a patent on the chest pad steering design for the kneeling handcycles. It's not relevant for recumbents.