Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: TiLite Wheelchairs

QTiPi, consider MikeBox. He makes truly custom, one-off chairs at competitive pricing (he founded [and later sold] Colours).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    QTiPi, consider MikeBox. He makes truly custom, one-off chairs at competitive pricing (he founded [and later sold] Colours).
    I know, and his people have told me he can do 13.5" with 25" wheels on his everyday chair (14.5" on his suspension chair). However, that means going for a chair everyone agrees feels very different from the usual suspects, is basically non-adjustable, and for which I can't access any kind of trial/demo chair. My understanding is that on his everyday chair, not even the COG is adjustable, and I'm not sure I can deal with that. There's also the distinct possibility that I will need to change up to 26" wheels in future, and Mike Box's chairs (like my Colours Razorblade) don't have adjustable forks so it's possible the wheel size change wouldn't be workable. I suspect a Box chair would be a much more cost effective choice for me, especially given that I could buy it direct instead of having to go through the local distributor with the markup that entails, but I'm much less confident I could get a chair that really worked well for me from Mike Box. Unless I went to see him, of course, but flying half way around the world with a carer would take a bit of a bite out of my new wheelchair budget! ;-)

Out of curiosity--I don't think it's an appropriate chair for me, alas--does anyone know how low the Icon can go with 25" wheels? The order form does not appear to provide any guidance as to which options are compatible with which other options.

have you tried calling and speaking to anyone at tilite. they are very open minded and do think outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    I realised that 13.5" was asking for a lot, but I was hoping to get SOMETHING below the order form's stated minimum of 14.5". Even 14.25" would have been a worthwhile drop for me. But TiLite's CAD-drawer has simply said no, and said no in a way that makes it sound as if anything below 14.5" is technically impossible. If he's wrong, how am I meant to find out? Keep submitting CAD requests with progressively higher RSHs until one gets the okay? I'm not made of money here! This is not a whim or a preference for me, it's a serious factor in whether I can physically push my own chair, especially since it looks as if I am going to have to move to a thicker cushion.

By the way, I have been wondering about the way the order form's stated minimum RSH measurements 'jump' between wheel sizes. Here on the ZRA order form we see that the minimum RSH with 20" wheels is 12.5", while with 22" wheels it's 14.0". I would have expected the increase to be the same as the increase in radius of the wheels, ie up 1" to 13.5". Going from 22" to 24" wheels it jumps from 14" only to 14.5", not the full inch I would have expected. Between 24" and 25" wheels there is NO jump in minimum RSH. Then between 25" and 26" there's a jump of a full inch even though the difference in wheel size is only one inch and therefore I'd have expected the jump in RSH to be only half an inch. Are the names we give different sized wheels highly inaccurate as far as their actual size goes, or does TiLite change mounting hardware as you move up the wheel size range?
    Attachment 55583
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

From Jeff I was told lowest with 25s is 14.5, you COULD go lower but you'd lose some of the rebound space for the shock.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Frame differences: Power Adaptable, Reinforced and Heavy Duty

Hi TiLite,

Over time there have been questions about what the differences are between frames: Power Adaptable, Reinforced and Heavy Duty. Can you answer some questions, and include any other information that might be useful? The questions are based on the ZRA order form dated July 1, 2014 and the TiLite FAQ:

1. What do the different frames include, e.g., stronger fasteners, thicker tubing, different welds etc?
    2. Given a ZRA with the same dimensions, what are the additional weights for the different frames types?
    3. Is it only the Heavy Duty Frame that allows for a 300 Pound weight limit or will a Reinforced Frame allow for it also?
    4. What are the differences between the Reinforced Frame and Power Adaptable Frame for Frank Mobility System (Alber e-Fix and Alber e-Motion)? My question is in relation to the frame only, and not the other requirements.
    5. Can a Heavy Duty frame be used in place of a Power Adaptable frame?
    6. The FAQ says that either a Power Adaptable or Reinforced Frame can be used for E-Fix and E-Motion systems, but the requirements are different than the order form. For example, could someone use a reinforced frame which allows for a titanium camber tube?

The FAQ "Can I have a TiLite built for use with a Power Assist System?" says:
      All TiLite chairs, with the exception of the TX, are compatible with the E-Fix and E-Motion systems built by Alber and distributed in the United States by Frank Mobility. If you are ordering a new TiLite chair, it must have the power adaptable or reinforced frame, 0 or 2 degree camber, and aluminum front wheels...
      The ZRA order form has no requirements for the Reinforced Frame, but for the Power Adaptable frame says:
      Requires LiteSpeed Billet Aluminum Front Wheels and 0 degree camber. Not available with Carbon Fiber or Titanium Camber Tubes, or Slipstream Forks

Can you also indicate which frames are necessary for the following?

Power Add-ons:

Power Assists:

Power Handbikes:

Many thanks for any input you can give.
    Last edited by elarson; 08-29-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

You've asked great questions. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers. I need to get the answers from the folks here at TiLite that do know. We are out of the office on Monday due to the Labor Day Holiday but I'll try to have something for you next week. Have a great weekend.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    I realised that 13.5" was asking for a lot, but I was hoping to get SOMETHING below the order form's stated minimum of 14.5". Even 14.25" would have been a worthwhile drop for me. But TiLite's CAD-drawer has simply said no, and said no in a way that makes it sound as if anything below 14.5" is technically impossible. If he's wrong, how am I meant to find out? Keep submitting CAD requests with progressively higher RSHs until one gets the okay? I'm not made of money here! This is not a whim or a preference for me, it's a serious factor in whether I can physically push my own chair, especially since it looks as if I am going to have to move to a thicker cushion.

By the way, I have been wondering about the way the order form's stated minimum RSH measurements 'jump' between wheel sizes. Here on the ZRA order form we see that the minimum RSH with 20" wheels is 12.5", while with 22" wheels it's 14.0". I would have expected the increase to be the same as the increase in radius of the wheels, ie up 1" to 13.5". Going from 22" to 24" wheels it jumps from 14" only to 14.5", not the full inch I would have expected. Between 24" and 25" wheels there is NO jump in minimum RSH. Then between 25" and 26" there's a jump of a full inch even though the difference in wheel size is only one inch and therefore I'd have expected the jump in RSH to be only half an inch. Are the names we give different sized wheels highly inaccurate as far as their actual size goes, or does TiLite change mounting hardware as you move up the wheel size range?
    Attachment 55583
    Do you have a quote number for this chair? I can have our Engineering Team take a look at it and see if we can help.

Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    Do you have a quote number for this chair? I can have our Engineering Team take a look at it and see if we can help.
    254336, a 15x15" ZRA request via TiLite New Zealand.

If there are compromises I could make (more dump? higher COG?) that would enable a lower RSH to be achieved with 25" wheels, I would like to know. If something which could be done would achieve a lower RSH but reduce the future adjustability of the chair, that would be acceptable. Even a drop of a half- or quarter-inch potentially keeps me out of a power chair for a couple more years.

In case it has any bearing on the matter, the OFL of the existing CAD is too short, so if I proceed with this purchase I'll be asking for 1.6" of extra frame depth.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Thanks for taking a look at it. I think it's better to take the time to get full answers than to rush things, so no worries. The first 6 questions are the highest priority, but I think many have wondered about compatibility issues with the warranty on the other types of products also. I can understand that may take longer, especially for those that are not as common in the US.

Hope you enjoy your long weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    You've asked great questions. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers. I need to get the answers from the folks here at TiLite that do know. We are out of the office on Monday due to the Labor Day Holiday but I'll try to have something for you next week. Have a great weekend.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks for taking a look at it. I think it's better to take the time to get full answers than to rush things, so no worries. The first 6 questions are the highest priority, but I think many have wondered about compatibility issues with the warranty on the other types of products also. I can understand that may take longer, especially for those that are not as common in the US.

Hope you enjoy your long weekend!
    I spoke to some folks here at TiLite and they said they thought it would be best if you private messaged us to see how best we can help you. You've asked a lot of questions that can lead to long winded explanations but we want to better understand what you are try to do so we can best advise you. Thanks.