Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: TiLite Wheelchairs

Banned
    Marty Ball left Ti light along with Alan Ludivichi. Now they are with Motion Composites and Ki Mobility.

Banned
    Marty Ball left Ti Lite and wend to Motion Composites.
    Alan Ludivichi left Ti Lite and went to Ki Mobility.

I'm on my second TiLite, and and so frustrated...cuz I absolutely love the chair, but I have yet to get that "Ti Fit". My last chair had caster problems constantly, freezing up, and they used to send me new forks even when that happened, not knowing what was the cause. I just had to buy a new fork, and it didn't match the other one (green). I was told I could send it back and bet a pair going through my DME, but I can't send it back. So I'd have to shell out another two hundred to get a matching pair. And I love the green, but found out they're discontinuing it I worked so hard to have this chair be perfect, trusted it, getting the ZR, and it took almost a year as well (maddening the back and forth between people, and this was out of pocket so no insurance even). It came with 5" casters when it was 4" that was on the order form, and a different bar in back, and I swear it isn't much different than the old one at all. It feels like they really didn't care that it fit me right. They have been generous in other ways, so that kind of sucks. It sucks, too, that now the casters are freezing up again. If you go out on a rainy day, you're screwed. How do people in the Pacific Northwest, where the chair is made, do it?? I swear the bearings get a tad wet, and a couple dog hairs or dirt gets in there, and it stays sticky for weeks. If I lube it, they get worse, cuz it attracts debris. Isn't there some way to make a chair so this isn't a problem?? What should I do, replace bearings ever few months? After ever rain? Or give my dog a bath?
    Now a PT I met with looked at the chair by eye, and said it was not balanced. This explains why I have not ever been able to get rid of caster flutter I guess. From the start. Even going mild speed. If I tighten them down to barely moving, it helps slightly, but doesn't fix it. So I use the Freewheel daily. It's not meant for that I'm sure. I'd like to be able to just have a normal wheelchair that works for me. I have paid to have the flutter remedied, and it not work, so now they say they can't fix it. But TiLite says to talk to the DME. So, looks like maybe I need to buy another chair if it's not balanced?
    I also hate how reps and DMEs can act like you're a jerk and bitch and moaner...when all one wants is the chair to work like it should.
    Last edited by heartdog; 09-22-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Those caster bearings are sealed. Don't oil them. That just attracts dirt and hair.
    Are you willing to try an experiment? In an earlier thread it was speculated a negative angle on the caster would help eliminate caster wobble. Since yours came with 5 inch and you want 4 inch, swap down to an old pair of 4 and see what happens to the wobble.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Wouldn't that make my front too low? I'd worry about hitting cracks and doing endos. Now it's doing what the old chair did. It's not resolving, and when it rotates, I feel and hear it grinding. Sticking almost to stopping entirely. So frustrating. I really don't want to switch to a different maker, but two chairs in a row doing this? It's like a year and a half old, too! Guess I'd better take it apart and get new bearings. But why does moisture do this to these chairs? I've never had this problem before. You can't avoid water, but I have tried very hard. Soon as they get wet, they freeze up right away.

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    Wouldn't that make my front too low? I'd worry about hitting cracks and doing endos. Now it's doing what the old chair did. It's not resolving, and when it rotates, I feel and hear it grinding. Sticking almost to stopping entirely. So frustrating. I really don't want to switch to a different maker, but two chairs in a row doing this? It's like a year and a half old, too! Guess I'd better take it apart and get new bearings. But why does moisture do this to these chairs? I've never had this problem before. You can't avoid water, but I have tried very hard. Soon as they get wet, they freeze up right away.
    It's just an experiment to check wobble. It should only drop your front 1/2 half an inch at the casters, 1/2 the diameter of the wheel size distance from the axle to the floor.
    Caster bearings do go bad. I've replaced lots of them. It's not difficult and they are easy to obtain. If you can get one out as a sample, go to a skateboard store and buy a tube of them since you seem to need frequent replacements.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I also hate how reps and DMEs can act like you're a jerk and bitch and moaner...when all one wants is the chair to work like it should.
    Have been there with the same experience. I don't want to generalize, but what you are describing is not unusual in my experience. Have dealt with a few who, if they can't figure out the problem or product flaw, you are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Have been there with the same experience. I don't want to generalize, but what you are describing is not unusual in my experience. Have dealt with a few who, if they can't figure out the problem or product flaw, you are the problem.
    Thanks. I'm not crazy then lol

But why does moisture do this to these chairs? I've never had this problem before. You can't avoid water, but I have tried very hard. Soon as they get wet, they freeze up right away.
    Thinking out loud here...WD40 is not really a lubricant in my eyes. The WD stands for water displacement. Might be worth a try if you get desperate. Wipe off any excess because it will attract more dirt and hair. Good Luck!
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Just got my TI Lite folding 2GX and love it. The footrest tilt forwards instead of reverse. Called customer service but they wanted me to call the supplier. Not gonna happen. They are clueless. any ideas?