Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: TiLite Wheelchairs

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    Seems odd that TiLite doesn't have an off-the-shelf solution for this one.
    Seems odd that you'd want to go with a manufacturer from the opposite side of the globe that is hesitant to build truly custom wheelchairs.

If I were you.... (but I'm not) check out Oracing wheelchair. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oraci...9663?sk=photos

as an example....

Name:  qtipi.jpg
Views: 3018
Size:  44.1 KB

I realize you are not a little girl, but I offer this image as an example of the type of pushers you seem to be describing. I like how they can be completely removed if you know you won't need them. Check out the link above, if it's got wheels they can build it.

BTW, they are now building titanium chairs, if that's the reason you are choosing TiLite.

(FWIW I am not affiliated with them at all, just own and enjoy one)

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Seems odd that you'd want to go with a manufacturer from the opposite side of the globe that is hesitant to build truly custom wheelchairs.

If I were you.... (but I'm not) check out Oracing wheelchair. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING
    It's tempting, tooley, it really is. But I don't feel safe buying without prior access to a trial chair I can use to confirm measurements, and as far as I know there is no Oracing dealer here in NZ. The trial chair is important, getting the measurements just right is important, because the difference between a chair I can use well and a chair I can't use at all is very slight. (I'm not SCI, but I'm classified as a 0.5 in rugby, so if you imagine the least able members of that sport class you'll get a reasonable picture of what I can do.) TiLite's adjustable height push handles will do the job perfectly, including dropping the handle right down or removing it for loading in the car, etc...but that's not much use if they can't attach them to the back I want! I HATE the play I get in my current folding backrest, especially when being pushed, and I hate that I have to carry the extra weight of that unnecessary folding hardware. I want a welded backrest. But I NEED push handles mounted more centrally than the backposts. :-|

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    The trial chair is important, getting the measurements just right is important ....
    How far are you from Christchurch? Would a Melrose Piranha not be your best bet? They make some incredibly custom sports chairs, I'm sure bolt-on pushers would be a cake-walk for their fabricators.

Finding a perfect fit loaner chair seems a little far-fetched. I had basically assumed (you stated you were looking to upgrade from a ZRa to a fixed-frame model) that you knew your measurements. Believe it or not, measurements from one manufacturer to another translate quite easily once you achieve an understanding of wheelchair geometry and how changes in seat height, dump, and COG effect one another. This won't happen overnight. I tweaked my first chair (an 18x18 ZRa with a ridiculous 75-deg front-end and stupid wide foot-plate) until I could wheelie it down ramps comfortably. A year and half later I had placed the order for a smaller, far more nimble, completely non-adjustable Oracing XTR. I bit my nails for 2 months awaiting its' arrival, opened the box, threw a cushion on it and never changed a thing. It wasn't luck. I put in the work and didn't let anyone else tell me what I needed.

My suggestion - find a dealer that will loan/rent you an adjustable chair, such as a ZRa or possibly an Icon, that is a good width for you. Shine them on, like who cares what some salesperson really thinks, if they want to believe you are going to buy from them so be it. Then start tweaking that loaner until you get it bang-on. If it's not, try a different chair. Once you can wheel for a week straight in it and not want to change anything start measuring. Take accurate measurements and order whatever type of chair you want from whoever you want. It's not rocket science, you just have to trust yourself.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    How far are you from Christchurch? Would a Melrose Piranha not be your best bet? They make some incredibly custom sports chairs, I'm sure bolt-on pushers would be a cake-walk for their fabricators.

Finding a perfect fit loaner chair seems a little far-fetched. I had basically assumed (you stated you were looking to upgrade from a ZRa to a fixed-frame model) that you knew your measurements. Believe it or not, measurements from one manufacturer to another translate quite easily once you achieve an understanding of wheelchair geometry and how changes in seat height, dump, and COG effect one another. This won't happen overnight. I tweaked my first chair (an 18x18 ZRa with a ridiculous 75-deg front-end and stupid wide foot-plate) until I could wheelie it down ramps comfortably. A year and half later I had placed the order for a smaller, far more nimble, completely non-adjustable Oracing XTR. I bit my nails for 2 months awaiting its' arrival, opened the box, threw a cushion on it and never changed a thing. It wasn't luck. I put in the work and didn't let anyone else tell me what I needed.

My suggestion - find a dealer that will loan/rent you an adjustable chair, such as a ZRa or possibly an Icon, that is a good width for you. Shine them on, like who cares what some salesperson really thinks, if they want to believe you are going to buy from them so be it. Then start tweaking that loaner until you get it bang-on. If it's not, try a different chair. Once you can wheel for a week straight in it and not want to change anything start measuring. Take accurate measurements and order whatever type of chair you want from whoever you want. It's not rocket science, you just have to trust yourself.

Good luck.
    Icon distributes through Mogo Wheelchairs in Australia/New Zealand, so they have both an Icon and the ability to do a custom build for you or to do a modification to an Icon.

Leon Callihan would be the person to contact - leonsjc@gmail.com

Please don't do what Tooley suggested - it's an incredibly shitty thing to do, because it costs people real money for you to trial a chair, and if your intention is to just go buy another one, it's really dishonest. It also puts wear and tear on my demos, which costs me money.

I would suggest that you can be honest with the person you expect service from, and let them know that you need to use the Icon to get measurements for another chair. I would suggest either negotiating a fee for this service, or commit to ordering a Mogo from him if you use one of his Icon demos to get custom measurements, but please don't try to take advantage of them, or "shine them on" as suggested.

http://www.mogowheelchairs.com.au/

@Tooley - This isn't the way to encourage better service from dealers or manufacturers - this kind of shit happens to us all the time - I don't know what you do for a living, but imagine someone running you around and getting good service from you only to go somewhere else to spend their money.

I agree that its pretty shitty. I was really upset when I found out the OT doing my evaluation (no choice there, picked by Voc Rehab) was not using the dealer I'd set up my demo through, but is going to purchase my Icon through a NuMotion dealer. I happen to also have a particular issue with that company, even though its a different office she's working with. When the guy I've been working with came to pick up the Icon, I told him not to do any more work on it since it seems the OT is going to be using NuMotion, but since NuMotion had specifically told me they could not arrange an Icon demo or work with Icon I would let him know if things changed. He replied that this sort of thing happens to him all the time, where he puts in tons of work and its not until the absolute last minute until the person tells him oh nevermind I'm going to use X, and he really appreciated me being straight up with him. I think that's awful, and feel really guilty about the extra time he spent with me and going to extra mile for me to demo the Icon longer etc, only for the OT (who while refusing to participate in the demo to learn about the chair herself, was kept in the loop about everything this DME was doing) to bring in someone from someplace I did not want to work with.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

For my last chair, I trialled a bunch of different things and ended up with a shortlist of three. I felt guilty enough that I had to turn down two chairs--and two reps who'd done so much to get those chairs shortlistable for me--that I don't think I could ever deliberately use someone like that. In addition, the New Zealand setup is generally companies with exclusive contracts to represent particular brands of chair in New Zealand, so if I screwed over, say, the local TiLite rep, that would make it difficult or impossible to go down the TiLite route in future. I don't want to lose any goodwill here.

What I have done today is speak to one of the bigwigs at Melrose who was in Auckland for the wheelchair basketball nationals today. He assures me they CAN do sub-14.5" RSH with 25" wheels and that height-adjustable bolt-on push handles on a fixed back are no problem. He's going to do me a CAD to confirm it can be done. If so, and if the expected price is within cooee of my budget, then I'll have a decision to make. I don't want to let my TiLite guy down, but I need a chair that will work for me, and will continue to do so even if, as it appears, I'm going to have to move to a thicker cushion. That means the lowest RSH we can reasonably get. And since I'm never going to get more able (quite the reverse) the push handles are essential. It IS possible to get the push handles i need from TiLite provided either that I compromise and get a folding back (so much for the dream chair) or persuade them to solve their particular engineering problem at a price I can afford. Big decisions. I WANT a TiLite. I NEED a chair that works for me. :-|

I'm a bit disappointed that I still have not heard anything back about this post, despite sending a private message...

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Hi TiLite,
    Over time there have been questions about what the differences are between frames: Power Adaptable, Reinforced and Heavy Duty. Can you answer some questions, and include any other information that might be useful? ....
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I am on the last steps of ordering a new chair. I am ordering a aero Z but the problem i have having is deciding on a color.. I want one that will not scratch or chip. Does the light satin chip or scratch?

elarson, it appears i was right about it being a cop out answer.

the is no such thing as a color choice that wont chip or scratch. The only option similar to what you want would be to get a titanium frame instead of a painted or powder coated aluminum one. And even with this option it wouldnt be chip or scratch proof but resistant, with scratches showing less on a satin finish or being able to be polished out.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Climb/descend stairs using backrest rigidizer bar?

Someone recently posted a question (see this post#24) about what is stated in the documentation about climbing/descending a flight of stairs with the user in the wheelchair. The documentation says the following:

The assistant at the rear of the chair is in control of this procedure. He or she must tilt the chair back to its balance point on the rear wheels and roll it to the edge of the first step. NEVER attempt to lift a wheelchair by lifting on any removable (detachable) parts, including upholstery and removable push handles or push handle grips.
    The documentation does not say where the assistant at the rear of the chair is suppose to hold onto the chair. To me the only other logical place to hold onto is the backrest rigidizer bar, and is how we do stairs. Technically the backrest is a removable (detachable) part. Can TiLite please make a statement about whether it is safe to use the backrest rigidizer bar to hold onto, and if not, where the assistant is suppose to hold onto the chair?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).