Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning pain lower back and both legs.

Banned

Burning pain lower back and both legs.

I've been a C4- C5 incomplete spinal cord injury for nearly 4 years. I am experiencing burning pain sensation lower back and through both legs down to the toes. I would like to know if anyone is experiencing same symptoms? Does this mean that my nerves are healing and getting sensation back?

I think that after post injury by 2 years, the chances of return are low, but who knows for sure? Time will tell. There are medicines to try if it bothers you if you find it the pain too great a 'distraction' .

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    I think that after post injury by 2 years, the chances of return are low, but who knows for sure? Time will tell. There are medicines to try if it bothers you if you find it the pain too great a 'distraction' .
    "...if you find it the pain too great a 'distraction'... "There are medicines to try..." Please list them.

A 'Distraction' would be a hang nail or runny nose a slight headache, this is taking over my life, my mental state, my state of mind - I have handled being a para 100% up to about a year ago, now I'm losing it -

I've had the burning pain like my blood is boiling in my lower back and both legs down to the toes, mostly on the left side. This has been going on for about five years. For the past nine or ten months the pain has increased to maybe from a low #4 when I am sitting, and to a #10 when I am laying down. It is now 24/7 with NO let up. I'm not able to function, think clearly or socialize.

I have tried Gabitin (sp?) Baclofin, Neurotin, Lyrica,
    Endocet 10/325, Percodan 20mg, Diazapam, up to 100mph Fentynal patches (I am now off the patch after five years on, went from 100 to 25 over a three month period, no difference in any type of pain level).

Truth be told I am at my limit. I have a recent skin graft on the bottom of my right foot that is not taking (this has nothing to do with the burning pain) and have the beginnings of a sore on the upper buttock near the crack between buttocks and am now non-mobile. I live alone and am 76 years old been a L-1 para for 35 years and have some kind of pain for the past 20 years. WHAT DRUGS EXIST TO AT LEAST CUT THIS BURNING PAIN BY AT LEAST 50%???

I'M READY TO CHECK OUT AND THINK ABOUT IT EVERY NIGHT WHEN I WAKE UP AND THE PAIN FEELS LIKE A POWERFUL LOCOMOTIVE BURNING MY PARALYZED HALF! It is overwhelming.

Any and all advice suggestions ideas possibilities welcomed and NEEDED!

Thanks for your input.

Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Gary,
    I just saw your post. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I hear you on the nerve pain. I noticed one med that you didn't list was Cymbalta. I use that for my nerve pain and as an anti depressant. Maybe that would be worth a try.

I've been injured since 2002. Just about every time I get burning, it is something else starting to work. It took me a very long time to ignore the burn. For me, it always seemed to be more rebuilding strength and range of motion in whatever was burning.

Garyis, I know some docs shy away from trying it outside of a hospital setting but have you tried methadone?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Garyis, I know some docs shy away from trying it outside of a hospital setting but have you tried methadone?
    Sue, I've talked to my GP about this and he, usually willing to give me anything I want, discouraged Methadone. He won't prescribe it. Most of the energy I do have is spent dealing with my foot, then this morning while on the commode there was a lot of blood! WHERE! I at first thought it was from my hemorrhoids but there was to much blood, Upon checking my self I found a hole in my testicles! I see my urologist this afternoon for this problem and getting a urine sample because I have all my symptoms of a bladder infection even though I am on 1.200mg a day of a Sulfa drug for a staff infection for the open would on my foot. Life is hard - but I keep hanging in there - 35 hers so far, and the aging process doesn't help matters much:-)
    Last edited by Garyis; 05-27-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    Hi Gary,
    I just saw your post. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I hear you on the nerve pain. I noticed one med that you didn't list was Cymbalta. I use that for my nerve pain and as an anti depressant. Maybe that would be worth a try.
    LadyT, I'm going get an RX for this next eek when I see my GP - thanks, Gary
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    Hi Gary,
    LadyT

Okay, no excuse, my life is being taken up with health issues and forgot about asking for the Cymbalta! I get on this as soon as able. Thanks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

After 36 years probably the most depressing issues for me are the amount of time and number of tasks involved in managing my disability / SCI.

I've had a good life , doubled own when issues get tough but the past few years disability management and pain often seem all consuming.

Feel for you and hope you catch a break Gary.