Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, I Can't Post!

Well, if 3 different browsers are freezing on you, you've got a virus (or malware). I caught a "keystroke logger" from a very reputable web site on this machine. It was running Windows Vista and I was using IE 9. The virus was watching what I typed and sending it to a hacker...which caused web site access to slow way, way down.

I had to upgrade this thing to Windows 8.1 to get rid of it. As Jerry Pournelle says, I scrubbed it down to "bare metal" and installed from scratch.

BTW...when you first turn your machine on, you should see a message like "Press F8 to boot in safe mode"...try that.

And...according to PC Magazine anyway...the best free virus checker is www.Malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    And...according to PC Magazine anyway...the best free virus checker is www.Malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
    Thought that I would give you an update since you were very helpful in giving me a lot of good ideas to try. Malwarebytes didn't find anything either. Computer just kept freezing at different places in the process.

I also have Reimage, but it kept hanging up in the repair process. When I ran it in safe mode, it almost finished, but stopped when replacing old windows files with fresh ones.
    Now it has probably taken its' last breath!
    I keep trying to get it to keep going, but it's pretty much a lost cause.

Thank you so much for trying to help me, I really appreciate everything.
    Ban the DEED,Not the BREED!