Thread: Purchasing new electric wheelchair

Purchasing new electric wheelchair

I am a C4-5 quadriplegic since 1993. I have only used Permobil electric wheelchairs since. I have a new insurance company and possibly will be recommended a Pride chair. Does anyone have any input on one versus another?

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I would avoid any Pride Mobility power wheelchair. At the VA clinic that was where I lived for 2 years, 9 out of 10 of the broken chairs were Pride products. Permobil's are one of the best chair made. You would be devestatedly dissapointed.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I have never had a Pride wheelchair but my DME tech says they are crap. They have a hard time keeping them running. They said they would never recommend one to a person fully dependent on a power wheel chair. I have been using a Permobil M300 for over 2years. I have had some minor problems but nothing serious.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thank you so much for the feedback. I currently in the process of getting an exception from my insurance company to deal with another vendor. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to stay with Permobil.

I'm also a C4/5 quad that has a Permobil. I'm just about to order a new C500 Corpus with a Peachtree and the usual stuff... tilt/recline/power elevating legrests/light kit/seat elevator. I'm trying to justify the speed kit. I'll get the results of whether or not they'll approve the speed kit on Tuesday.

I couldn't imagine any other manufacturer. My current Permobil is my first. In the past, I've owned Invacares that were junk in 5 years. I've had this chair over 8 years and it looks and performs well. For the first time, I'll have a backup chair!

I have the C500 Corpus w/ESP and it's been great. The VA ordered the snow tires for me and it has helped a lot off road as they are wider, so more lugs on the ground. Also more stable as I've got a wider footprint. They are on the Permobil order form.

My friend who has worked as a wheelchair mechanic for 10 years and now has his own company says Prides suck and the Permobil mechanic who likewise has a ton of experience agrees. Also, not just any mechanic can work for Permobil, need lots of experience and a bunch of great references. Not everyone makes the cut.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-20-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I have the C500 Corpus w/ESP and it's been great. The VA ordered the snow tires for me and it has helped a lot off road as they are wider, so more lugs on the ground. Also more stable as I've got a wider footprint. They are on the Permobil order form.

My friend who has worked as a wheelchair mechanic for 10 years and now has his own company says Prides suck and the Permobil mechanic who likewise has a ton of experience agrees. Also, not just any mechanic can work for Permobil, need lots of experience and a bunch of great references. Not everyone makes the cut.
    Did they ever get to the bottom of the trouble that cursed your last Permobil?

My first power chair was in 2003 and was a Jazzy (Pride) 1121. I used it until 2010 when I got an Invacare TDX-SP which I had for 1 year and 5 days, making it out of warranty when my left motor went out. I had the motor replaced I let my Aunt have it went she went to a nursing home. She used it daily until it until around December 2013 when it died at 10 years of age. In December 2013, I bought a two month old (Pride) Quantum Edge and the chair has been outstanding and much more comfortable than my Invacare.

With all the people from all over the world reading these, you're going to get negative ad positive reviews. If not read wheeled drive, I would like to try out a Bounder.

Good luck with whatever your choice.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I would bet there was a problem, most likely a short, in the wiring harness. Seen the same type of things in motorcycles I have owned or worked on. Had a hell of a problem like that with my '64' Sporster XLCH when I switched everything over to a Chapman racing frame w/35 degree rake. Must be careful installing the harnesses as a simple kink or something rubbing can be a nightmare to find. Have just torn the broken SOB out and put a new one in. Usually did the job.

Probably built Friday afternoon or Monday morning.

I believe the old one was repaired and donated to a deserving individual.

First powerchair I received was a Quickie 626 in 2003, Tilt control box failed but neighbor still running and works good.

Next was an Omegatrac in 2005 which I ran like hell through the woods, horse pastures and ATV trails. Three sets of drive tires and two sets of casters. Steering motor went out in 2012, the very same day I picked up the Permobil. I just rebuilt it last summer when the drive belt broke, sending me flying down my steep driveway. No brakes.

Steered over close to wall, jammed joystick to left, did a 360 and smashed into wall on right side. EXPLODED joystick housing, bent armrest, slight concussion but still upright. Could have easily been killed. Need rebuilt/used Liber-T control and drive belt.

Frontier X-5 in 09 to replace Quickie, still runs well but the ActaBack sucks. Now back up chair. Will request replacement next year.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-21-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt