Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fractureed my tibia

Fractureed my tibia

Just found out I fractured my tibia just beow the knee. May have been from the fes bike, I'm not sure. Am waiting for a phonecall from my ortho as to the next step to take. Any suggestions if I need a cast or? I would assume one that can be taken off would be best.

Dang, I hope I'll at least still be able to use my stander at some point. I can't imagine not standing after all these years. Am concerned and a bit bummed but am keeping positive and know this to shall pass; trustfully without too much change in my lifestyle.

Blog Entries
    My ortho put a cast on mine with a lot of extra padding. He removed it every two weeks to check skin. He also told me not to elevate it while in the chair. I spent 22 hours in bed the first day and was allowed to increase that two hours a day as long as swelling was not a problem. Maximum time up with a cast was 14 hours a day. It took 8 weeks, but mine was tibia and fibula. A young lady in his waiting room informed me in all seriousness that pink casts were best.

Good luck
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Oh, Patrick, I am sorry this happened to you.
    If it is just below the knee, the thing you want to hope for is that they do not restrict bending your knee while this heals.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Patrick, I don't have any knowledge about casts but just want to say I'm sending positive thoughts your way - for the best treatment, for quick healing, and a smooth adjustment (mentally, emotionally and physically) to this development.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

A number of years ago, I spiral fractured Tibia/Fibula. The orthopedist would have preferred an External Fixator Name:  Fixator.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  14.6 KB(kind of like a halo for you leg). Unfortunately, my bones (osteoporosis) would not support the hardware. He put me in a soft cast that could be removed. Name:  Soft Cast.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  21.0 KB

The leg was x-rayed about every two weeks to check for healing and alignment. Is took 2-1/2 to 3 months to completely heal.

All the best,
    GJ

I don't think you will be allowed to do any weight-bearing until heals so I suspect the standing frame will be out of the question until it heals. Best wishes for fast healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Just found out I fractured my tibia just beow the knee. May have been from the fes bike, I'm not sure. Am waiting for a phonecall from my ortho as to the next step to take. Any suggestions if I need a cast or? I would assume one that can be taken off would be best.

Dang, I hope I'll at least still be able to use my stander at some point. I can't imagine not standing after all these years. Am concerned and a bit bummed but am keeping positive and know this to shall pass; trustfully without too much change in my lifestyle.

that sucks heal fast buddy
    how did you know it fractured did it swell or something
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Sorry Patrick. Heal soon, and well. How'd you find out you had fractured your tibia? Routine xray?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

THanks guys, This site is really special in times like this. I noticed it swelled up a lot while riding the fes at the rehab. Went and saw my chiro and showed him; he thought I should have it xrayed. Which I did and hence the results. Not sure how I did it. May have been from the fes and the time I rode it with one of the rear chambers of my NX cushion deflated, didn't know it til later when I found a large worn skin from rubbing on the edge of the cushion.

Still waiting to hear from the ortho. on the next step. Course the first question they ask is about the insurance coverage. Thankfully I'm covered by workers comp. Kind of freaky knowing I have a fracture and nothing done yet.

This to will pass and if it means a change of lifestyle a bit, so be it. Sure hope I can still use the stander eventually though. Thanks again you are all very special.

oh that sucks Patrick Madsen.
    I hope the healing is quick.