Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Son's insurance is offering us Self Directed Option for services -- advice?

I totally agree, you can train for skills, but not for caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommycares View Post
    ...I would take a friendly good natured person with no experience and train them vs some of the experienced people we've had....
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We have gone the self direct route for a few years now. We had horrific agency caregivers from multiple agencies. That was, unfortunately the requirement to be able to go self directed for us. We have had excellent results working with the local college with nursing students. You will have to train anyone as you have developed your own ways and preferences.

The most important thing to us when first meeting a prospective caregiver is attitude and willingness to be flexible. The rest, we teach. We have a total of four students at this time. Because they have different class schedules-Ry's biggest need is mornings-getting up, doing BP, showering, dressing and getting into his chair. He can do most of this by himself but needs someone to brace the shower chair for transferring, inserting the "bullet", and rolling him to the shower. He has very limited shoulder strength. He also cannot cook his breakfast.

The students cover for each other. Because their class schedules are different, every day there are two available. If one is sick or has another issue, he or she calls the other and Ryan only cares that some one is here to get him up, pooped, showered, and fed. Yes they have access to out home with only Ryan and the animals for supervision but they are all drug tested, background checked and trained. If I trust you with my son, trusting you with my stuff is nothing.

I have developed a relationship with these students (not all of whom are kids) and they all tell me that this is the best student job they could have. As the students move on, they help with finding and training replacements (along with the counselor at the school). We have even used "graduates" for the occasional night or week-end shifts.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Well -- I had some great people lined up and thanks to Consumer Direct (http://consumerdirectfl.com/) which is the anvil we have to work with, we have most likely lost them all.

Three weeks and we are still waiting on where to send applicants for fingerprinting and background checks. I am so frustrated! They told us someone would call us, now, after several calls and emails -- they think letters will go out. Then we should expect to wait 1 - 4 weeks for clearance. Who the heck is going to wait this long to start work? And what if someone quits suddenly?

What a horribly run company!

That's terrible. I hope that maybe once you are in the system it will go faster.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).