Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying questions

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

(KLD)
    The attendants always help stash my foot and arm rests in the overheads which is where we put my cushion too. I have better ability to scoot around if I'm not bogged down in my Jay on flights. Any wheel chair tools including your pump should be exempt from TSA rules. If you have problems during security checks ask to speak to the TSA manager on duty. If you have anything written explaining the pump bring a copy along just in case.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have flown with a roho pump tons of times, no problem. You wont need to adjust anything however. The pressure differential on modern planes is maybe 3 PSI, which unless you are super sensitive wont make any noticeable difference in your cushion (it doesn't on mine).

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Thanks for the replies. A couple more questions, please. Do you think TSA would allow me to take a Roho pump on my carry-on. Due to the air pressure, I plan to deflate my cushion slightly, and will need to inflate it again once we land. The pump looks a bit peculiar, so I wasn't sure it would be allowed.

Also, the last time I flew, once at the gate and being transferred to the aisle chair, my attendant removed my legrests/armrests/controller, and stuffed them in a duffel bag, then strapped that bag to the seat of my wheelchair to then be stored under the plane. Would this still be allowed?

This morning, while boarding Southwest Airlines in a aisle transfer chair, the Flight Attendant said she didn't think we were allowed to put a wheelchair cushion on top of their seat. We'd just flown SWA a few days ago with no issues and were returning home. I explained why the cushion was necessary, that the cushion had been checked by TSA and she dropped the issue ( or maybe they didn't want to hold up the passenger boarding line anymore ). Has something changed really recently or was the Flight Attendant just misinformed?

Sounds like a misinformed flight attendent. Maybe she was new!
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

My husband is a quad and we have flown many times. He has always used Jay cushions and we have just taken the gel out of the foam base and put it in the seat. We try our best to stretch his legs out a bit in front of him so his knees aren't high so he isn't getting a lot of sacral pressure, of course he is a few inches shorter than you so I'm sure it's trickier for you. For pressure relief we do them frequently. I put my arm across his body and he leans forward against my arm to relieve pressure on the sacral and ischial areas. We have never had any skin problems develop on a flight. The coach seats are a little snug but he has never had any redness to develop. He used a condom cath for many years and yes, we did worry about the "what ifs" but we never had trouble. I always assisted with the transfers to be sure there wouldn't be a problem. We never put a brief on him since he doesn't use them I was afraid that would cause a problem. Then I always make sure to have a very large empty water bottle inside a bag so I can discreetly empty the leg bag and carry it to the restroom to empty. Always make sure to have an empty leg bag for the transfers. Lastly, I always remove anything that I can from the power chair, throw it in a canvas bag and it gets stowed in the overhead bin or sometimes in the front closet right when you enter the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    This morning, while boarding Southwest Airlines in a aisle transfer chair, the Flight Attendant said she didn't think we were allowed to put a wheelchair cushion on top of their seat. We'd just flown SWA a few days ago with no issues and were returning home. I explained why the cushion was necessary, that the cushion had been checked by TSA and she dropped the issue ( or maybe they didn't want to hold up the passenger boarding line anymore ). Has something changed really recently or was the Flight Attendant just misinformed?
    Two years ago flying back from Florida on SW I got held up at the TSA point and had a second outside the clothes pat down and everything reswabbed. After I cleared that (it turned out the first agent's gloves were contaminated from a previous swab) the early boarding crew also asked about specific parts of the chair before transferring to their aisle chair. They have a difficult job to do and they get my full cooperation. Two days later it was in the national news that that airport had a credible threat the day we flew.

Your attendant may have just had her safety update training which includes flying objects during unexpected events like child safety seats and our cushions or the entire airport may have been asking everyone more questions to gauge your reactions due to an internal raised threat level. Most raised threat levels are not released to the public unless a leak was known about or the credible threat was taken care of.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I'm 6'3" and use a memory foam cushion on long flights and the gel pack from my jay underneath if it's a really long one. If I were you I'd wear those new Depends pads that are smaller if you are that worried about leakage. Better to have peace of mind. My head never sits above the seat.

Google the hoodie-pillow. They make a travel version that is $.

No reason why you shouldn't be able to take the roho pump.
    "Be stronger than all your excuses...."

I just went to my sister's wedding in California. To get on the plane we used the aisle transfer seat but our seat or rate of front on our way back so they just brought my chair in and transferred me into my chair when we got back to Phoenix. I borrowed a cushion from my PT that I could sit on that was very low-profile. Worked out perfect
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

The only thing that has ever cured the condom catheter is an SP tube. Long-term solution that is.