Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying questions

Flying questions

Hi, I will be taking a cross-country flight in September. I have flown on several occasions since my accident, but it has been several years since my last one. I'm curious how quads manage to do weight shifts during the flight? Also, when I have flown before I did not sit on my cushion. I use a Roho. I'm concerned that given the shrinking airplane seat, that my cushion won't fit? At 6'4" I'm also concerned that sitting on my cushion will cause me to sit at too high of a height. What have others done?

Another concern I have is having an accident during the flight (urinary). I use an external catheter, and on previous flights I spend the entire flight paranoid about leaking onto the airplane seat. I don't wish to use an indwelling for the flight. My question is, besides the high embarrassment factor, would the airline hold you responsible for damages?

Our 18 x 18 Varilite fits the width of a coach seat but extends about an inch beyond the depth. Since it's an air cushion, we let a little bit of the air out of the valve when the pilot turns off the fasten seatbelt light and try to guess the amount to put in once he's transferring back to his wheelchair.
    I would never fly without taking the cushion on-board. The airline seats are not made for pressure relief. Also, if something were to happen to his wheelchair in cargo, I'd at least have the cushion to put on top of the clunky airport chair.

I'll leave the weight-shift question to a member with personal experience.

The cost of cleaning is most likely figured into the price of your ticket. Kids pee, poop and puke in their airplane seats. Not all adults get to the air sickness bag in time either. Have a safe flight and don't worry about getting fined.

How about wearing a depends like product my nephew has no control and wears one all the time. There are web sites that will give you the actual seat dimensions for your aircraft, each airline usually only has a couple of different planes so should be easy to narrow down.
    which plane you might be on.

The more information I gather the less stress I feel so I always do a lot of research.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Have a great trip!

We just got back from a trip to LA and my quad daughter is about 5'6". She used her high profile Roho on the airline seat and her knees cleared the seat tray. You might need to let a little air out if you are 6'4". Her cushion was slightly long for the airline seat. She was in the middle of my husband and I and she was able to lean both ways and forward for pressure relief. (Our seat config was 3 and 3.) We cathed in-flight with one of those all-in-one cath kits. (She has a mitrofanoff.) My husband just held up a blanket so the people across the aisle couldn't see....and I checked that no one was coming down the aisle before we started. We didn't plan on cathing onboard, she just felt like she had to go so we went for it. For the plane trip, our daughter had on Depends. She said she didn't want to risk peeing over stuff or driving around with a pee filled wheelchair cushion. (She doesn't have accidents at all, just wanted the extra insurance.)

The other thing we noticed was the seat width. Her legs were constantly resting on the side of the hard armrests. Each armrest had a button that protruded that pressed against the side of her leg. We didn't see any after affects from this but considered wedging a towel over that area for future flights.

Today's commercial aircraft have pop in /pop out seat cushions. I've seen the cleaning crews change out two where kids sat and the attendants left just a sheet of colored paper on them as the passengers vacated. They will not fine you. They have parents, kids and grandparents too. After a very long transatlantic several years back in very tight coach seats with a third person in our 3 person row we decided that was it. Anything longer than 3 or so hours gets business class. We figure it into vacation costs. The extra room allows me to lean well over to either side or forwards and on most overseas flights business most often means total stretch out. I don't use my chair seat cushion but it is above me in storage.

As far as the condom cath...I think if it is going to cause problems it will be when transferring to and from the aisle chair. Empty the bag right before boarding and during the flight if needed. Yea, you might want the padding back up but be prepared to tell the TSA agents before they pat you down what to expect.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks for the replies. A couple more questions, please. Do you think TSA would allow me to take a Roho pump on my carry-on. Due to the air pressure, I plan to deflate my cushion slightly, and will need to inflate it again once we land. The pump looks a bit peculiar, so I wasn't sure it would be allowed.

Also, the last time I flew, once at the gate and being transferred to the aisle chair, my attendant removed my legrests/armrests/controller, and stuffed them in a duffel bag, then strapped that bag to the seat of my wheelchair to then be stored under the plane. Would this still be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Thanks for the replies. A couple more questions, please. Do you think TSA would allow me to take a Roho pump on my carry-on. Due to the air pressure, I plan to deflate my cushion slightly, and will need to inflate it again once we land. The pump looks a bit peculiar, so I wasn't sure it would be allowed.
    Put it in your backpack, then see below.

Also, the last time I flew, once at the gate and being transferred to the aisle chair, my attendant removed my legrests/armrests/controller, and stuffed them in a duffel bag, then strapped that bag to the seat of my wheelchair to then be stored under the plane. Would this still be allowed?
    I wouldn't advise it. You were lucky. That is a sure way to get those items lost or broken. It is not uncommon for them to load other luggage onto the seat of your wheelchair. Best to take those items onto the plane with you. They do not count against your carry-on luggage limits.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Put it in your backpack, then see below.

Will it need to fit in an overhead bin, or will they keep it somewhere else?

I wouldn't advise it. You were lucky. That is a sure way to get those items lost or broken. It is not uncommon for them to load other luggage onto the seat of your wheelchair. Best to take those items onto the plane with you. They do not count against your carry-on luggage limits.

(KLD)
    Will it need to fit in the overhead compartment by us, or will they store it somewhere else?

I've always taken my Jay cushion onboard with me, !7" width and it fits with room to spare.

Being above the headrest is a pain, but it's better than risking your skin.

Regards

Simon

Will it need to fit in the overhead compartment by us, or will they store it somewhere else?
    Overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

(KLD)