Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cc fraud

You missed my point, anything can be hacked. The reason I like the google wallet is I load a specific amount of money on it, and that is the limit to what I can lost if I lose that card.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Debit cards CAN be hacked. There are 2 ways a debit card can be used. ! way is where you are using the card and executing the transaction without being required to enter PIN. My grocer has a checkout where you can have the transaction executed like a credit card and requiring the PIN, or a direct financial transaction immediately processed against your bank account, This does not require PIN. I have never seen this type online.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You are asking the wrong guy
    I figured even YOU might have an older parent around. I mean other than you know who......
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Annualcreditreport.com will give you a free printable credit report from the 3 credit bureaus once a year. The best way to monitor current credit is by getting just one bureau's report every 4 months. If you are getting ready for a big purchase like a van or house then check all 3. You only get one free report a year from each and they do not give scores. But for most safety work you don't need a score.

I got a rather disturbing call this morning from someone who knew my name and address. They were calling about the malicious worm files I was downloading and the very foreign, my guess Slavic, accent I doubt he was calling from NY. He said he was calling about the Windows computer here and his company was "e-interpol" but he had no clue as to who the FBI is or Carnegie-Mellon. I forget the name of the worm except it ended in .xsf. Hung up on him and fired up that computer and checked the most current real and hoax viruses in North America and none sounded right. Checked all the area wireless names and saw the normal ones for the condo and the marina next door. But Vegoe The Destroyer is new. I'll talk to my ISP tomorrow. Got rid of two former names at different ISPs and locked it on WPA Home Network only. Mcafee had one urgent update and my real time scanning is on.

My credit reports are fine. We use shredders. We don't bank online minus a few emails none that have anything but my name in them. I had to change my bank card 3 months ago when it was swiped in a state I haven't been to in 31 years! And I got a phishing expedition that had the last 4 of my SSN in it. Add in a huge upswing in spam since January I am wondering what to do next.

Computer geeks? Ideas? I couldn't *69 him because my dentist called right after I hung up. Even our accountant that uses a secure encrypted portal for uploading files to him asks that no SSNs go through and those portals are what banks use. No, I do not shop at Target and we streamlined our financial life over a few years before we retired so we have fewer statements to go through.

Not a happy camper.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, my guess is he has no access to your computer at all. Are you in the phone book? I suspect it was a cold call, hoping you would give him info or access.

Re, the card for your Dad I know they were marketing re-loadable debit cards for families to use with teens, to help them learn to manage money, and to allow them to go shopping, for clothes for example, but not allow them to go nuts with dad's cc. Ask at your bank about prepaid credit/debit cards.

I am assuming you are looking for a card he can give someone to shop for him, but limit the damage they could do if they turned out to be non-trustworthy or just careless?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Sue,

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/phone...s-reports/4198

He has no access to your computer, it is a scam going around.

T

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Sue,

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/phone...s-reports/4198

He has no access to your computer, it is a scam going around.

T
    That's exactly it. Thanks. I had a virus years ago and had Verizon FIOS as my network and they used a great security team. When I Googled that virus I called them. Seems I had been one of the first to report a new virus in the US and they did ask for a sample to work with. But again, I called them. I feel for the Poles because I'd guess it is one of their own calling. I just don't like all the hits on my name in such a tight time frame. I hung up before he got to the remote access request. Thanks again.

Seems like CC theft is going crazy, I know so many people whose credit cards have been compromised it's unreal. There really needs to be some major changes instituted in the way things are done, like chips in cards that match finger prints or something.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Sue, my guess is he has no access to your computer at all. Are you in the phone book? I suspect it was a cold call, hoping you would give him info or access.

Re, the card for your Dad I know they were marketing re-loadable debit cards for families to use with teens, to help them learn to manage money, and to allow them to go shopping, for clothes for example, but not allow them to go nuts with dad's cc. Ask at your bank about prepaid credit/debit cards.

I am assuming you are looking for a card he can give someone to shop for him, but limit the damage they could do if they turned out to be non-trustworthy or just careless?
    I'm in the online white pages but not much I can do about it.

Yes, SJ, that's the entire idea. Right now he has an old friend who does the big shopping run every two weeks and no problems at all there. But looking forward we were thinking of someone from an agency for a few hours five days a week and there we both want more security. I'll talk to him and then one of us will talk to his bank about a refillable by PIN debit card. I know about the prefill ones from people on here but he'd like something he can keep using one number. I take care of extra shopping for clothes and his pharmacy is careful about the senior delivery program when he's had to use it in the past but he can still handle shorter lines and smaller stores. It's just groceries that are going to get difficult and he doesn't want to bother us... Parents! LOL The local grocery chain he uses has never taken credit cards because of the charges but are now accepting debit cards along with checks and cash.

Uh, heh, heh. You "feel for the poles". Heh. (Shuddup Beavis!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    That's exactly it. Thanks. I had a virus years ago and had Verizon FIOS as my network and they used a great security team. When I Googled that virus I called them. Seems I had been one of the first to report a new virus in the US and they did ask for a sample to work with. But again, I called them. I feel for the Poles because I'd guess it is one of their own calling. I just don't like all the hits on my name in such a tight time frame. I hung up before he got to the remote access request. Thanks again.

Actually, www.creditinfocenter.com just had a blog entry pointing out that since the recent MAJOR credit card breaches, the hacker sites have a surplus of card numbers and many of the card issuers are re-issuing new cards. The big thing now is twitter accounts.