Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's official, has moved to a power chair

Van

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Hello Diane,

I am 6'3" and weigh about 230 lbs. and I have had my current van since August 2010. It is a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country (Braun Entervan) modification... with a 10" lowered floor, kneeling, Sure locks to lock the chair to the floor, 50% reduced steering, auxiliary power steering pump, toggle switch for the parking brake, a spinner and a fold-down (fold up) power ramp. Unless I have my chair elevated, I don't even have to move my head and can go straight into my van and behind my steering wheel. I use MPD hand controls which are very easy to use. All my modifications were done through the (Georgia) Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation. To qualify, there is a salary income qualification, have a job or actively seeking employment or going to school. They will not buy a van but will pay for modifications, for me $22,500. If Dave cannot drive yet, then someone could drive for him. (Put the driver seat in and remove the passenger seat.) DVR will also arrange driver training on a modified van to get certified.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    thanks so much for all the input.

Good program at GCC? The gym is very tiny, there are more people interested in working out there than there is space to accommodate them and the hours are very, VERY limited.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Now I know Jennifer. I think I found a place around 30th St. and Camelback that I'm going to try to check out. At least it's closer to SpoFit. SpoFit is the adaptive gym where the rugby team here works out and they play the wheelchair sports. There's even a pool with a hoist. The crew there is more than happy to help get people set up. There's a nice track above the basketball courts that's 1/10 of a mile. When I lived in Scottsdale I had a friend who was willing to take me there when she had time. Now I live at least 35 miles away. Hopefully this other place will work out
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I know SpoFit well. I fundraised during the building phase, and for equipment and member scholarships. I also worked out there until recently. It's a spectacular facility and the membership is very well-priced for the facility.

There are 2 drawbacks: internally, there's been a policy that staff cannot assist members with transfers or certain equipment. Since everyone cannot afford to bring someone with them to do this, it's caused a problem that just within the past week or so has been resolved. I've not been there since the new program was put in place so I can't speak to it.

Public transportation is inconvenient for those who use light rail. There is a bus stop right out front but the DEC is between 2 light rail stops and at the crest of a very steep slope. We've been working to add a stop close by and a city-funded feasibility study should be completed in about 7 months I think. Even if we get approved for funding, that area is full of historic preservation with Tovrea Castle across the street and there are a number of ancient ruins all along that area. We have our fingers crossed that a DEC-usable light rail stop can be added. That will take some years to accomplish though. Until then, use the Washington bus to get there.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I managed to get my butt to the grocery store all by myself the other day. I think it's the first time. See you tomorrow
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Blog Entries
    Good on ya, Ry! Sometimes baby steps are huge...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Congrats!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>