Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to try the electric pain stimulator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Going to try the electric pain stimulator

I really hope it works. My lower back pain keeps me up some nights and I've almost called 911 a few times because of it. My pain Dr. tried injecting nerve blocks but it only worked for a few days. Those were the best days of the year so far. There was great to get rid of my back and hip pain. Percocet helps but nowhere near enough. I really don't want to put another pain medication in my pump so it's down to this. Has anyone else tried this?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Are you talking about a TENS unit?

(KLD)

Or a Dorsal Spinal Stimulator?.. If so Read up on them, yes they work for some, often (usually imho) temporary, may cause complications. Be sure to do the full trial. Had a major surgery last Nov to remove mine, pancaked my spinal cord and a double laminectormy to remove. Doc said it was like removing an alien from my spinal cord, unusual but not rare either. I think on the board most users gave up on them.

ket

Quote Originally Posted by ketamine kitty View Post
    Or a Dorsal Spinal Stimulator?.. If so Read up on them, yes they work for some, often (usually imho) temporary, may cause complications. Be sure to do the full trial. Had a major surgery last Nov to remove mine, pancaked my spinal cord and a double laminectormy to remove. Doc said it was like removing an alien from my spinal cord, unusual but not rare either. I think on the board most users gave up on them.

ket
    I'd like more information on the success and failure rates on the stimulator. I'm set for one soon but this morning I called my neurosurgeon to hold off until I see him again and discuss the potential problems. I have a metal plate screwed between the T-12 and L-12 vertebrae, wondering if this is in the way of the wires. This is something I failed to mention to the doc as it all happened so quick. I saw him for pain and before I knew what was happening he was talking implant. I had to do research on this and overall it doesn't look like a good idea.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I tried the 3 day trial, wasn't enough time to determine if it offered any relief.

I don't know but I'm running out of options. I'm sick of being in pain. Between my central pain and my sore back and painful hip I don't know what to do anymore. She said it might help with my seizures to so I can get out of some of those medications. My Percocet doesn't touch what the doctor says is arthritis in my left hip and barely helps my lower back pain. We tried the nerve block procedure but it only worked for a few days (and a wonderful few days it was). I'm working on setting up a trial now
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I'm set up for the implant but after reading reviews on you tube I'm not so sure about getting this done. I have another appointment with my Neurosurgeon to discuss this procedure. I am not sure that I'll do it.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I have pain from my chest down to my toes. It is a constant burning kind of pain that doesn't quit. I have trouble sleeping because of the pain and spasms. I also get a electric shock kind of pain that can be quite intense. I am seriously allergic to opiods so they are a non-starter. I've tried gabapentin and lyrica as well. The side effects were actually wore than the pain.

I tried a TENS unit and I didn't feel a thing.

I had a spinal cord stimulator trial about a few months ago. In my case, it did not work. The stimulator effect, a sort of a vibration or a "buzzing" quality, merely competed with the pain. It neither eliminated it nor effectively covered it up. I had to run the stimulator at its highest setting (100%) to have any effect. At that level the stimulator effect was as annoying as the pain. I was told by the manufactures rep. that normally people set it at 25% and that anything over 50% was extreme. It did cover the area of my pain, which I didn't think it could do. From what I understand it is designed for more localized pain.

I should point out that I have a neuro-muscular disease rather than an injury. My pain derives from the spine itself. My neurosurgeon didn't think it would work but we decided to try it anyway. The source and other properties of the pain probably contribute to the success or failure of the device so you results may vary.

As far as the trial was concerned: The procedure was not a big deal. I was anesthetized and the leads were inserted and attached to an external stimulator. I was given a remote controller. I have no sensation in my back so I didn't feel anything. I tried various settings. After a week they pulled the leads out. The only thing I felt was the effect of the stimulator.

Another neurosurgeon wants my to try a newer version of the stimulator. This one hasn't been approved by the FDA yet so I'm waiting. I personally don't think this will work but I am desperate.

I hope it works for you.

Best of luck.

You said the nerve blocks helped but were too short, have you ever discussed radio frequency ablation?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I'm actually considering it for back pain not central pain. I know there's very little that will help with my central pain. I've tried a lot of those options including putting Dilaudid into my baclofen pump. The best thing that has worked in that is bibucaine. That's made a big difference.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ