Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice bath....what would happen?

Ice bath....what would happen?

I play wheelchair basketball and my personal trainer suggested that I sit in an ice bath to reduce recovery time. Could anything bad happen if I sit in an ice bath? AD?
    Never Give Up!

What is your level of injury?

Ice bath, how often, how long?

Does your personal trainer know anything about spinal cord injury?

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Ice bath? Hah, sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 hours just to warm up after wheeling 100 feet from the van to the house on a 0? F day.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I do it after Marathons in the Summer because I do not sweat and its a way I can cool down.

I would shiver uncontrollably. I'm not good in the cold. We don't get goosebumps at my level, C-5, so my body's natural response is to shiver to try to warm up although not too long ago they had ice packs all around me to bring down my temperature of 103.7 when I had an infection. I think the next step, if I didn't cool off from that, was to get an ice bath to bring my temperature down
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Do I have to worry about AD?
    Never Give Up!

T12-L1, my personal trainer knows about my injury. Not in detail but in general.
    Never Give Up!

I'm T-10 complete and I would not do it. I can not keep warm during the day. My hands stay freezing cold and I feel cold all over during the day. I sweat and get super hot at night but I take Ambien which i think increases my blood pressure at night and I sleep with my husband who is a HEATER and 2 small dogs on or near me all night. I wake up hot in the night constantly but CANNOT stay warm in the day. An Ice bath would be a nightmare for me.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    Do I have to worry about AD?
    Yes, possibly although your injury is low for AD. Have you ever had AD??. AD could be caused for those at risk either from the cold itself, or from the muscle spasm that can be caused by sudden immersion in an ice bath. This is also a shock to your heart...people who are suddenly immersed in ice water (such as being dumped in a pond in the winter) may actually die from cardiac arrest before they get hypothermia or drown.

A cool (not cold) shower, or getting into an pool heated no more than 75F would be safer and probably just as effective.

A personal trainer is not going to have the experience or education to determine if this is safe for you, even if they have done so with other wheelchair athletes.

(KLD)

I would turn into a freaking spaze machine. I had problems in a pool "heated to 82F" and literally bounced across it on my toes. I'd never get warm again. Even for a lower injury I'd stick with ice packs under towels or the cool shower.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.