Thread: makeshift catheter extension

makeshift catheter extension

For a long time I carried around a catheter extension and my backpack always smelled like urine. Until a friend told me about this trick. You can use the catheter packaging as an extension. Just make a small hole at the end of the package, and open the other side like normal. Then let the catheter slide through the hole you made.
    c6/7 complete

That's what I have been doing for a few years.
    At the beginning had a few accidents ( hole too big, cath slide etc etc?, but with practice, it's just perfect . Just push e tip thru the end and voila.
    works best with cheap cath packaging.
    i use nelaton catheters, unlubricated, non hydrophile .. Just basic ones.

Thanks for the tip, will have to give that a try. Maybe a cheep rubber band you could wrap around the packaging and the catheter to hold it in place.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Blog Entries
    I just cut off the tubing from a night bag, washed it out with liquid soap & water, and coiled it up in my backpack. Doesn't smell at all.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Here is another hint that works very well for me. I use a drinking straw, push the straw into the green part of the catheter ( mine has a green end, it's a 16" catheter ) and use transparent tape to tape around to prevent leak and to hold the straw in place. Both the straw ( a pack of 100 for about $1 ) and tape are not expensive. You may have to find the right diameter size straw for your catheter size.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I just cut off the tubing from a night bag, washed it out with liquid soap & water, and coiled it up in my backpack. Doesn't smell at all.
    that's what I have been doing for 20 plus years. I have to get my tubing and connectors from the hardware store but it works great and I keep it in a sandwich baggie sealed up and never have smelled it.

Blog Entries
    The VA supplies me with 4 bags a month. I'd be happy to recycle the tubing and send it to anyone who can use it.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I just carry a small (& empty) soda/gatorade bottle with me.

Drain into it, dump in toilet, done.

Easy to rinse, easy to seal, easy to replace, disposable.