Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eggs give you high cholesterol?

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Sue, you yolks do have protein too. It is only slightly less than the protein in the white. From wikipedia:

The yolk makes up about 33% of the liquid weight of the egg; it contains approximately 60 calories, three times the caloric content of the egg white.

The yolk of one large egg (50 g total, 17 g yolk) contains approximately: 2.7 g protein, 210 mg cholesterol, 0.61 g carbohydrates, and 4.51 g total fat.[4]

All of the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) are found in the egg yolk. Egg yolk is one of the few foods naturally containing vitamin D.
    I know 55, especially about the vitamin D. But thanks for putting the break down out here for others who don't know. I'm one of those who has to watch every damn milligram of LDL cholesterol because even with a disgustingly good diet mine is high and it took a year to get my good cholesterol above the minimum by 13 points. Trying to do that and get my vitamin D up is not easy even with 2000 IUs of added D a day. I've never been much of a milk drinker so Home Ec way back when is actually helpful now. L My doc suggested the 2/3 pitch. Although if you have growing children who are not eating a bunch of fatty junk food adding the extra yolk to their eggs is good because of the D and other fat soluble vitamins.

Titanium, with your numbers I wouldn't change a thing. My cholesterol levels went wonky after my SCI. So did my vitamin D. And now Medicare seems to think Vitamin D level checks are not worth reimbursing...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I eat the same amount of eggs as I used to, but my supper low cholesterol has gone way up. I think it is because of my super low fiber diet. Before I was forced not to eat fiber, I was one of those supper high fiber everything health foot types. So now its white rice and bread, and very few vegetables. So the moral of the story is, eat more fiber type foods. And yes I workout a lot still, after my sci so its not that, its the damn white diet, not the eggs.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

The only time my cholesterol went up is when my thyroid went whacked.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12