Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quickie 2 wheelchair

I will say with what I know, the old designs of Quickie have not changed too much. The newer have. So, a newly made ancient Marilyn Hamilton era 2 should be fine. It is proven as anything gets.

I'm going for evaluation for the wheelchair on the 16th was wondering should I know anything? Will they try and help me get a tilite chair thanks

I sat on Quickie 2 for 10+ years. The thing works fine. Yes moving parts wear. Moving parts on any chair will wear. I will say brakes did loosen rather quick. If you just tighten them, that will only make them wear even faster until you need to replace them. Putting nylon thread tape on the screws will solve this issue. You need be careful with whoever your supplier may be. Many times they only work with 1 manufacturer. Even though Medicare will pay for both Quickie and Tilite your supplier will keep telling you "Medicare" did not approve what you are trying to order. The bottom line was the supplier lying. They either make more $ on the other brand or did not carry it. Tell them you will pay out of pocket, they will get you anything in a heartbeat. I am not aware of Medicare paying for a K0009 titanium chair. Medicare does pay for the K0005 chair. WORK with your supplier. They are trying to make money.

M

A rigid chair would be good but I get transferred from chair to car etc would flip up footrest in a rigid chair help me?

Lumsta, we can't see how you and your carer manage transfers, and chances are no one here does it quite the same way! I've told you privately that a flip up footrest doesn't work for me because I need to spread my feet further apart to stand than the chair's frame will allow, but that you might be completely different. This is something that you need to try out. When you get to the stage of trialling/demoing a TiLite chair, ask to try one with this footrest. Then practice some transfers and decide whether it will work. It's really that simple.

Lol your right thanks man was just making sure

My husband has hemiparesis and we needed individual flip-up footrests in order for him to be able to propel with one foot and also so he could do standing pivot transfers. In case the standard flip-up footrest does not work for you, you could consider a Designs Unlimited modification DU100082 Front frame Rigidizer Bar with individual flip-up footrests. It is available for the TiLite ZR, ZRA, and Aero Z. You will find it in the Designs Unlimited Catalog on page 48. If you search on this site for "DU100082" you will find more information about it. If it is something you find you are interested in, I'll be happy to share what we learned while configuring it for my husbands ZRA. It works very well.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Would like to know that would be nice

Lumsta, I am happy to help, but you really need to provide more information about what your situation is for transferring and what your questions are. This is not an insignificant modification and will take a lot of thought and consideration on your part, and the part of others, including myself, to be of help. Configuring an ultralight is serious business, and there is a considerable time and knowledge investment. Many here will help, but you need to do some of the leg work first. I also started out as a newbie, so I know how daunting it can be. In general, it is better to provide more, rather than less information. Everyone is so individual that guessing is a very risky business, and not something most of us would want to do. If you search on some of my post threads by viewing my profile you can get an idea about how involved it is. Granted, our situation was a bit more complicated than many, but also less so than others. I think you will be happy to have invested your time in learning, and getting a chair that really works for you. Only you know what is important, and it will probably change many times on the way before you actually decide. Take the time, and you will be rewarded for it everyday when you use it.

P.S. I just sent you a PM, with my newbie perspective of "Choosing a new chair" and how to go about it on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumsta View Post
    Would like to know that would be nice
    Last edited by elarson; 04-12-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks for the tips