Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quickie 2 wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by Lumsta View Post
    I already got a letter from my doctor for a lightweight wheelchair but will medicare cover a Tilite chair?
    I just did a search on the site for "medicare wheelchair" and came up with a long list. I did not read through them all, but there is probably a wealth of information for you if you search on it. I tried to send the search link, but it did not work.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Wow who thought this would be so stressful

I don't mean to get you down, but it is a stressful process. I think if you plan on spending a fair amount of time on research it will make it less stressful, so you don't have to rely on dealers for everything, with a big potential of not getting what you need. This site has a lot of information, and I think the best resource on the web for ultralights.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Wow who thought this would be so stressful
    So many options exist for ultra-light chairs, and available features differ considerably among manufacturers. Will this be your first chair?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It would be my first normal chair lol I would get those standard heavy ones like hospital ones now I sent the prescription for a lightweight chair now I think i made a mistake should of said ultra lightweight

Here is an explanation of Medicare's Medical Equipment coding document (These codes are called HCPCS):

Note "Lightweight" = K0003, and "UltraLightweight" = K0005

Every wheelchair salable in the USA is assigned an HCPCS code (check the manufacturers' websites and/or order forms; you'll see them). This is why K9Sports mentioned the Rx terminology. If the Rx says "Lightweight," you'll get another hospital chair. Good quality chairs intended for permanent use are coded K0005. K0003s are intended for temporary use (e.g., recovery from surgery). Very few doctors understand the coding/terminology; wheelchair clinicians (e.g., PT, OT) do.

TiLite and a few others specializes in K0005s. Quickie and some others produce all codes of chairs. DMEs suppliers push only those brands they represent, and of those, they promote the ones from which they make the most profit. Never trust a DMEs suggestion.

Name:  HCPCS K0001-K0009 explained.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  149.9 KB
    Dang - the pic won't show. I'll keep trying. - I give up for now. Perhaps it will show later.

Instead of a pic, here's a link to 2014 HCPCS codes for wheelchairs and accessories.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-12-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Oh okay thank you man since the prescription was sent out for approval what can I do to change this now? Any ideas can I Cancel it

Oh okay thank you man since the prescription was sent out for approval what can I do to change this now? Any ideas can I Cancel it
    Call your doctor's office and explain what you now know and ask for their assistance to correct the prescription and to get the approval process corrected.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Ok I called she put it in the computer for ultra lightweight chair so it should work? Right

Yep. You'll need to double check when the equipment supplier begins making suggestions, though. Just make sure it's a K0005 chair; many people in the industry use the terms "lightweight" and "ultralightweight" carelessly/interchangeably. Every chair you look at will have a K code. Very soon you'll be able to recognize the difference between K0005 and K0003 with a quick look.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>