Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quickie 2 wheelchair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quickie 2 wheelchair

I wanted to know is the quickie 2 wheelchair a good chair ? Was looking for a folding ultra light weight wheelchair any advice would really appreciate it thanks!

I used a number of Quickie 2's for 20 years, because I didn't know better. They have redesigned the chair since those I used. In my opinion you can do much better, look at offering from TiLite, for one.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I use one nearly every day, bought it off Craigslist nearly new for 200 a couple of years ago. I only use it in the shop, outside and loading in the van for shopping. Loading is a breeze. I just take the cushion off and grab the seat strap. The chair folds flat, so I can pull it in and lay it on the floor, wheels intack. Getting it out is as easy. I just push it out, sorta holding on to one side and letting it fold open when one wheel hits the ground.

It is *not* an untralight. However my chair is very sturdy, and what I really have appreciated about it is the no cost adjust-ability. Although I run zero camber, changing it requires just adding a few washers. The other brands may be using the same technology, but unless you know what camber you want this feature is a good thing. Also front and rear seat height are adjustable, more so if you are willing to play with camber wheel sizes. Dump, the angle that the chair bottom makes with the horizontal is also doable since the vertical caster shaft is adjustible to be, well vertical. My Q2 has these features. I do not know if the current model does, or if the Tilite or other current models do, but if I was looking, those are what I'd look for. \

As for wheels, get the best, Spinergy's at least. It's amazing what they did for my chair.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hi,

I would stay away from Quickie 2 and try other brands. The reason why I say that is because I had Quickie 2 for 15 years and there were countless problems with the chair. The chair was constantly under repair mode, I will be bankrupt if I didn't get covered by the ministry. I will suggest you to try ridge chair because it need less repairs. I own a second hand Quickie Ti for a few months now and so far it's great. Quickie Ti was regard as the last good chair that Quickie had made but it was discontinue a few years ago.

Good Luck, Canucks

Lot's of Q2 bashing, but I have had absolutely no issues. What problems are in store for me? Be specific, I already said to ditch the rear wheels for some quality ones.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I too would like to know the specific problems people have had with the 2, and what year they got theirs.

Oh ok thanks for the tips I will def check out the tilite chairs appreciate it! I guess tilite are the best in the game right now lol

My husband uses a TiLite 2GX and we are very happy with it. It is primarily used upstairs (we have a stairlift) and when we need a folder when travelling. He uses a TiLite ZRA rigid as his everyday chair, and we are also happy with it. We also have an old Quickie 600 as a backup. We considered a Quickie 2, and although it is usually cheaper, easier to come by and get maintenance on, I think TiLite is a far better chair in terms of design and quality of parts, especially if you do your own maintenance.

May I ask why you want a folding chair? I find rigid chairs more stable, and in most cases, not any harder to transport, and sometimes easier.

It would help to give a bit of information about your situation for others to give more information.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I was thinking a folding chair because I'm always with someone so it would be easier for them to lift it. I suffer muscular dystrophy Becker I still have strength to push my self
    Last edited by Lumsta; 03-09-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumsta View Post
    I was thinking a folding chair because I'm always with someone so it would be easier for them to lift it. I suffer muscular dystrophy Becker I still have strength to push my self
    I'm assuming you mean lifting it into a car? Without the wheels on, I find the rigid easier with a hatchback or in the backseat. With the wheels on, the folding chair is easier in the backseat. As far as weight, the rigid has less moving parts, and hence, less weight. My husband has the use of one arm and one leg for propulsion, and says the rigid is definitely easier for him, because there are less moving parts.

I think it would be good to try both types before making a decision. Even as a caregiver, I think the needs of the user should have the highest priority, because the user is the one using it all the time. The occasional lifting it into a car, although important, should not be the primary decision maker.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).