Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quickie 2 wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    The breaks suck, mine were at first hard to use they told me they couldn't fix them so they got brake extensions for them but they never worked right to begin with. Not to mention the screws were always loosening up on the whole chair. Went back to the dme who said it was a quickie issue that there was nothing they could do. The quality of their chair just sucks!
    I'm gong to drag this out a little more. Which brakes? And which screws? I'm asking so much because my girl is looking for a new chair. I just read a Tilite thread a few weeks ago the said bad stuff about their chair. So I'm a bit confused.
    I'm not defending the 2 but I've had one 30 years. Welded the cross braces is few times and replaced some upholstery, but all and all its been fine. I'd like to know the year of the ones folks are complaining about.

Thank you for the help I will def look at both so Tilite chairs are good chairs not many problems with them?

I've got one Q2 and several other Quickie chairs that I either use or have taken completely apart and rebuilt to suit my purposes. The screws have all been set down with industry standard lock nuts. If that is a Quickie thing, it is a good thing. Brakes just as wheels are upgradeable and Quickie has the scissor brakes that are popular now. I did look at the current drawings of both brands for this folding class and Quickie looks from the drawings to be the tried and true way to go for the axle setup. I wasn't so convinced on the caster setups of either chairs. I'd want to find a pair of the older style casters if they still sell them since they are user friendly.

I would like to see a Q2 and GX2 side by side in real life. Quickie has had a major issue with the Q7 and a change of ownership, neither of which have helped their reputation, but that old Q2 design has been solid. Just like autos though, you never know about the current production cycle of anything from anywhere.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumsta View Post
    I was thinking a folding chair because I'm always with someone so it would be easier for them to lift it. I suffer muscular dystrophy Becker I still have strength to push my self
    A rigid will not be significantly more difficult for an able-bodied person to load/unload, and may in fact be easier. And if they're bumping you up/down steps, I suspect you'll feel a lot safer in a rigid. There are mechanical and maintenance advantages on top, plus a rigid will work with a standard FreeWheel and with power assist devices such as the SmartDrive and ZX1--a folder won't. Don't make your chair choices with someone else's convenience in mind--this is your mobility, and the longer you can maintain that the better you'll be, health-and-happiness-wise. FWIW, I have one of the Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophies and use a rigid chair. My primary caregiver is in her 60s and has no difficulty getting it into and out of cars.

I've had a Q-II for almost 5 years...no major complaints. It's a fine chair, though my next will be a T-Lite

Joe

Just saw the smart drive that's pretty cool that would def help a lot thanks for the tips what about Tilite aero x goood chair?

I already got a letter from my doctor for a lightweight wheelchair but will medicare cover a Tilite chair?

TiLite Aero chairs have aluminum frames by default. I love my TiLite AeroZ (Series 1, rigid). From what I've read, Medicare will readily cover aluminum chairs (including TiLite's), but needs a compelling medical reason to pay for a titanium frame chair. (VA provides my equipment, so I don't have personal knowledge regarding Medicare.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I already got a letter from my doctor for a lightweight wheelchair but will medicare cover a Tilite chair?
    Yes. There is some kind of K000X that goes along with what the doctor wrote. It will match the chair type you can select. And if what I read here is true, you cannot upgrade. You get what the system will let you have.
    I've only used medicare once which was for a Supracore cushion. In my case I had to get pre-authorized from my insurance and then go to the durable medical equipment supplier DME of *their* choice. It was a long and drawn out process and not fun. In the end I paid out more copay than what they go for on the used market.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hi Lumsta, welcome! Just a thought, but get another prescription from your doctor that says "ultra-lightweight." The one I have is in the lightweight class and weighs more than 33 pounds! Not lightweight to me! I'm in the process of a new chair and have to keep reminding the therapist "ULTRA" lightweight.

The script from your doc. has to be pretty specifically written. There are samples of scripts online, but I can't remember where Maybe on Medicare website. My reason for needing ultra lightweight is ,I'm not getting any younger and this heavy thing is starting to cause shoulder and wrist problems. Now I need to find a seating and mobility person that is certified and knows how to measure me and fit the chair to me. That's another long detailed form (sigh.) I am not looking forward to this at all lol

Keep us posted and good luck.

K9
    Ban the DEED,Not the BREED!