Thread: Snow/ice tires for power chair?

Snow/ice tires for power chair?

Do these exist and if so, where can I buy them? We have freezing rain up here and the sidewalks are like ice-rinks. I literally can't make it up the curb cut...tires just spin

my invacare G3 arrow tires generally work good in snow. I do have to admit its fun to do doughnuts in the parking lot. what kind of a chair do you have? i do remember that one time i missed the edge of sidewalk and flipped sideways in snow. good thing the snow blower guy was around.

Let's meet under the mistletoe

i have an action arrow power storm....the tread sux!

i betcha invacare may have a more rugged tire? I'd ask the dealer, Theophania. hope you find an answer. b4 the end of this winter prolly, mines going to be "move south" lol.

Let's meet under the mistletoe

Found these labeled "turf tires". From what I gather, it look like the Storm uses 3.00-8 tires. At this site scroll to bottom, look for "C248 View Tread". This will pop another window with tire pics, look at C248. Does that look knobby enough?

tires

I'll see what else is out there. Of course, verify your tire size first, I'm no expert.

McD

edit: here's another, search for C248:
    more

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

[This message was edited by McDuff on 12-20-04 at 09:39 PM.]

thx. is there such things as chains for wheelchair tires?

Originally posted by Theophania:

thx. is there such things as chains for wheelchair tires?
    A good thread for ya at www.wheelchairjunkie.com

thread
    Sounds like chains aren't good to try, but people do well with knobbies.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Theo...from my experience on ice there isn't really one tire thats any better than others. I have the grips and they're better in snow.I don't know how well your grip is but sometimes it's a matter of "getting a run at it".Have you a place where you can carry a small amout of "Icemelt".You could carry some with you and scatter it as you go for the tough places.If this is in town call your town office and have them clear the ice or put salt and sand on it.Is it a power chair you use? i'm kinda thinking it is but am not sure so i'm asking? I know they are vertually useless on ice.

yup, i use a powerchair. the icemelt idea aint bad...

Theo, there ain't much you can do other than hit it hard, hit it fast and, unfortunately sometimes, you have to hit it often. I've got a small ramp coming up to the back gate and after one ice storm 2 years ago, it took me 20 minutes of trying to make it up the 6 foot ramp!

First week of work at a new job and the trainer was taking the training class of 8 of us around to the lower level of the building. Middle of January and frozen solid. I took off fast, turned sideways and slid about 6 feet. Scared him to death. Man, ain't it fun!

I can usually run my Action in up to 4" of snow, more than that and the snow starts piling up under the footrests. The neighborhood kids love it when I pull their saucers down the street. Ice = hard, fast and often.

Robin

"You can't fall off the floor!"