Thread: I need bladder flushing advice!

I need bladder flushing advice!

I've always had some sediment but in the last two weeks my SP has gotten clogged twice to the point where it's had to be replaced. My urologist ordered something called acetic acid 3.0 (sp) however there doesn't seem to be a pharmacy that can fill the order.

So shortly after finishing this I'm headed down to our local feed and grain store to purchase some vetrycin hoping it will keep my catheter from getting clogged. I know there's a very very long thread about the use of vetrycin already and its use it keeps bladder infections away does it also help in keeping sediment away?

I'd like to thank all of you in advance for any advice you can get me that might help :-)
    One frustrated cowboy!!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I don't have trouble with sediment in my bladder/suprapubic catheter. But, I have read, on that very long thread, that people who have had trouble believe Vetericyn has helped eliminate sediment. It is up to you if you want to instill and retain Vetericyn or if you just want to flush the catheter and let Vetericyn drain out immediately. 20cc Vetericyn should be adequate for a flush, 30cc give you a bit more volume to reach into bladder nooks and crannies, if you decide to instill and retain Vetericyn for 5-10 minutes.

Otherwise, it is pretty straight forward, i.e., draw up a measured amount of Vetericyn in to a syringe, remove the funnel end of the catheter from the collection bag and slowly push Vetericyn into the catheter. If you wish to retain Vetericyn, use a catheter plug or clamp. A good clamp is a paper fastener (see picture). If you just want to flush, reattach the leg bag to the catheter after flushing. You don't need a new syringe every time you use Vetericyn, just remove the plunger from the barrel of the syringe, wash, rinse and dry on paper toweling.

To give it a fair trial, use Vetericyn once a day for a week or so.

Let us know how things are going.

All the best,
    GJ

Name:  Paper Fastener.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  13.9 KB

I will thanks for the reply
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Thanks, GJ.

What type of Vetericyn should be used to flush my catheter? When I looked it up there were a couple different types. Any information is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    What type of Vetericyn should be used to flush my catheter? When I looked it up there were a couple different types. Any information is appreciated.

Vetericyn Wound and Skin Care Name:  Vetericyn.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  18.9 KB

Vetericyn VF Wound and Skin Care Name:  Vetericyn VF.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  11.5 KB

Vetericyn VF is about twice the strength of Vetericyn.

All the best,
    GJ

I purchase mine here. I get two of the 16 oz. VF to get free shipping. Never had a problem with them.
    https://www.calvetsupply.com/categor...word=vetericyn
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks for the info