Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Epidural Stimulation Future Trials and Commercial Planning

Guys, U2FP does an excellent job of getting researchers lined up there and making all the necessary arrangements for the science to be presented non-stop at this extraordinary one of kind SCI conference.

Now, it's up to the participants to get their homework done and have their list of questions ready to go so we have as much up to the minute information as possible during Q & A and the breakouts where scientists give us all they've got.
    It's time for you guys to rock on!!! Be ready! You're on deck, so best of luck!

Have they got the 36 participants ready or will that come after complete funding is reached?
    Do they plan to have near all of the patients at once? Or is that 36 spread out over a certain time period?

Grammy thanks for all you do with providing this info clean and clear. Really helps.

I'm not sure if they have to wait for all the funding or not. I can ask on that. I believe they have 5 million already before this campaign. They have a link here to register for participation in the trial at University of Louisville...I'll find out as much as I can at the end of the week.

http://www.reevebigidea.org/the-research

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Has anyone been in contact with any of these guys? Are they starting to enrol for the next trial?
    Hi, James

I spent a couple of hours with Rob Summers last August. What were you wondering about?

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Hi, James

I spent a couple of hours with Rob Summers last August. What were you wondering about?
    In Terms of sexual function are we talking just the ability to gain and sustain an election, or are we talking sensation and ability to reach climax. I understand you probably didn't ask that, I'm just shooting it out there. Without sensation and ability to reach orgasm I can't see that as a big improvement in sexual function, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I'm not sure if they have to wait for all the funding or not. I can ask on that. I believe they have 5 million already before this campaign. They have a link here to register for participation in the trial at University of Louisville...I'll find out as much as I can at the end of the week.

http://www.reevebigidea.org/the-research
    Grammy any idea if they're accepting quadriplegics in this trail? And is this the upgraded version of the stimulator?

In Terms of sexual function are we talking just the ability to gain and sustain an election, or are we talking sensation and ability to reach climax. I understand you probably didn't ask that, I'm just shooting it out there. Without sensation and ability to reach orgasm I can't see that as a big improvement in sexual function, if at all.
    Oh, believe me, it's a question I'm very interested in too. My understanding is that everything works sexually, and that this is also the case for at least one of the other 3 guys.

eta: I also got to talk with one of the subjects in the StemCells Inc trial that's been going on in Zurich. He says that they're working hard over there to get human epidural trials running. I think the principal investigator would be Gregoire Courtine, who (like Susan Harkema) trained with Reggie Edgerton.

This is from an article about Courtine's work. It's rats, but it's really good.

researchers used paralyzed rats whose spinal cords were completely severed. They surgically implanted electrodes into their spines and then placed them on a treadmill, supporting them with a robotic harness. After testing out different pulses and monitoring walking patterns, the researchers discovered that there was a relationship between how high the rat lifted its limbs and pulse frequency. Using this information, the researchers were able to develop an algorithm that constantly monitored the rats’ movement. This data was then fed back into the system which allowed automatic, rapid adjustments in the stimulation in real time, mimicking the way that neurons fire naturally.

The rats were able to walk 1,000 steps without failure and were even able to climb staircases. “We have complete control of the rat’s hind legs,” EPFL neuroscientist Gr?goire Courtine said in a news release. “The rat has no voluntary control of its limbs, but the severed spinal cord can be reactivated and stimulated to perform natural walking.”

It is hoped that a human size version of the system could be used in robot-assisted rehabilitation, which may help patients with incomplete spinal cord injuries learn to walk again. The researchers will therefore test their scaled-up system, called Gait Platform, in human trials as early as next summer.
    My friend who's been traveling to Zurich says they're pretty sure that what they have will be an order of magnitude better than what was done in Louisville -- which should not surprise anybody, as that was just a very crude first iteration.
    source
    Last edited by kate; 10-14-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Oh, believe me, it's a question I'm very interested in too. My understanding is that everything works sexually, and that this is also the case for at least one of the other 3 guys.
    Oh my god! So they must've had return to NORMAL sensation there and other places as well?

Oh my god! So they must've had return to NORMAL sensation there and other places as well?
    I don't think that's correct, no. I do know that Rob was able to throw away all his pain meds.

I don't think that's correct, no. I do know that Rob was able to throw away all his pain meds.
    Of course why would it be, damn got a little excited. Incompletes again of course, still a good thing I am more on the biological front anyways.