Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 442

Thread: Epidural Stimulation Future Trials and Commercial Planning

  1. #61
    The one thing I cant seem to get clear is, what were each patients Asia scores pre transplant? One thing will make it sound like Rob was Asia A while another it sounds like he was Asia B.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    The one thing I cant seem to get clear is, what were each patients Asia scores pre transplant? One thing will make it sound like Rob was Asia A while another it sounds like he was Asia B.
    The initial subject (Rob Summers) selected for the inaugural study, as reported in The Lancet, was completely paralyzed in his lower extremities following a hit and run accident in July 2006. Formerly an athlete in extraordinary physical condition, he suffered a complete motor injury at the C7/T1 level, classified ASIA B on the American Spinal Injury Association's scale as he did retain some sensation in his legs.

    The second, third and fourth participants — Kent Stephenson of Mt. Pleasant, Texas; Andrew Meas of Louisville, Ky.; and Dustin Shillcox of Green River, Wyo. — were able to execute voluntary movements immediately following the implantation and activation of the stimulator. Two of the four subjects were diagnosed as motor and sensory complete injured with no chance of recovery at all," said lead author Claudia Angeli, a senior researcher with the Human Locomotor Research Center at Frazier Rehab Institute and an assistant professor at University of Louisville's Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center (KSCIRC). The four paralyzed participants ranged in neurological level from C7–T5 and were at least two years post-injury at the time of the intervention. Two of them had been rated "A" on the American Spinal Injury Association's classification system, meaning they had absolutely no sensation or cognition below the site of their injury; the researchers were highly skeptical that these men would elicit any voluntary movement as a result of the intervention. So, from my understanding, two were ASIA A and two of them were ASIA B on the American Spinal Injury Association's scale.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-09-2014 at 12:29 AM.

  3. #63
    Has anyone been in contact with any of these guys? Are they starting to enrol for the next trial?

  4. #64
    They're on a fundraising blitz.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Has anyone been in contact with any of these guys? Are they starting to enrol for the next trial?


    The next study will include 36 people with spinal cord injuries who will be treated with epidural stimulation – a technique in which a device is used to apply electrical current to the spinal cord. The four people treated so far are all fit young men, so we want to try out the treatment in a wider range of individuals, including women and people of different ages, and with differing degrees and duration of injury. We're using the same device (16 electrode Medtronic) but are working to improve it, so it may be upgraded to allow for easier manipulation of the controls, for example. We're aiming for next year, and it will run for five years. To fund it, we have to raise $15 million, and we already have $5 million of that. (This is with the Louisville Kentucky group with Susan Harkema.)

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VDmim7J0x2s

    It is a different group getting ready to recruit for transcutaneous devices out of UCLA with 32 electrodes. That's the group working with Reggie Edgerton with the company name of NeuroRecovery Technologies.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-12-2014 at 10:42 PM.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post

    It is a different group getting ready to recruit for transcutaneous devices out of UCLA with 32 electrodes. That's the group working with Reggie Edgerton with the company name of Neuro Recovery Technology.
    Grammy, do you know if we'll be hearing about this at all at W2W? I'm curious as to how a transcutaneous device would function similar to the implantable one with multiple electrodes...

  7. #67
    Senior Member lunasicc42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lutz, Fl USA*********C456
    Posts
    2,329
    And GRAMMY, do you know about their enthusiasm or lack of to work with quads? And do you know a general timeframe if so?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

    "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Grammy, do you know if we'll be hearing about this at all at W2W? I'm curious as to how a transcutaneous device would function similar to the implantable one with multiple electrodes...
    Sure should be. Reggie will be presenting the science. The CEO of NeuroRecovery Technologies, Nicholas (Nick) Terrafranca will also be there to help answer questions.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    And GRAMMY, do you know about their enthusiasm or lack of to work with quads? And do you know a general timeframe if so?
    Reggie hasn't published a paper yet on the cervical for hand and arms. I do know he's quite pumped about the results he's getting in his experiments however.
    Reggie and Nick can fill us in some more at Seattle.

  10. #70
    Senior Member lunasicc42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lutz, Fl USA*********C456
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Reggie hasn't published a paper yet on the cervical for hand and arms. I do know he's quite pumped about the results he's getting in his experiments however.
    Reggie and Nick can fill us in some more at Seattle.
    I am glad that I changed my mind and decided to attend this year
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

    "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Similar Threads

  1. New post about the Epidural Stimulation
    By Barrington314mx in forum Cure
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM
  2. Epidural Stimulation
    By Skipow in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 06:39 AM
  4. Epidural stimulation?
    By cgtreadw in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 02:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •