Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Epidural Stimulation Future Trials and Commercial Planning

No I know that, sexual function is major. I mean its loss alone is life altering, and a despicable thing to endure, takes such a wondrous part of life away and leaves almost nothing in that department to live with. Not to mention the unrelenting terrible inability to satisfy one's urges. When I say stupid question I just mean stupid as in who's going to have the answer.

About working to walk in Seattle, you think it would be worth it for me to go? I live in Canada almost 24 hours away. I went to Boston last year and was disappointed with the results. Disappointed because I wanted to hear yes were going to start this in clinical trial, or soon this will be available, anything. Anything other then this is very premature, basically many years away, from actually happening.

W2W didn't have much going on last year about clinical trials. This particular year there will be info on clinical trials coming up or in progress. Reggie, Amy/Ida, Richard Garr and Wise are all presenting on current clinical trials... (Some years there are trials to report, and other years not). I hope people begin to see the progress that is taking place. It's really just baby steps, but at least it's starting to move some.

http://www.u2fp.org/organize/events/.../speaker-list/

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    No I know that, sexual function is major. I mean its loss alone is life altering, and a despicable thing to endure, takes such a wondrous part of life away and leaves almost nothing in that department to live with. Not to mention the unrelenting terrible inability to satisfy one's urges. When I say stupid question I just mean stupid as in who's going to have the answer.

About working to walk in Seattle, you think it would be worth it for me to go? I live in Canada almost 24 hours away. I went to Boston last year and was disappointed with the results. Disappointed because I wanted to hear yes were going to start this in clinical trial, or soon this will be available, anything. Anything other then this is very premature, basically many years away, from actually happening.

I felt the same exact way last year, I almost really wasn't going to go this year
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I felt the same exact way last year, I almost really wasn't going to go this year
    Always check the agenda and speaker list ahead of time. Some years there is trial information, and other years not. But then W2W isn't all about just clinical trials. There's loads of information such as research being worked on and reported along with rehabilitation and advocacy measures.

Right there with you Curt - in my 30th year now.

I could really use a bladder fix in my life right about now, to save it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

If there's reported change in Asia levels in a clinical trial, so Asia a to Asia B or C. That means return of sensation, but does that mean just return in different areas on the body then pre-treatment or the entire body,including sexually? (Asia B's or C's you can probably answer this) if it is the entire body, wouldn't that mean the patient would be able to reach a a climax, relatively close to pre-injury?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Um noooo. Quebecois are very different. Sneeze fart and yell at the same time - that's French Canadian. Trust me on this!
    Actually, I would advise people NOT to trust you on this, I don't think you can pass judgment only on the basis of your limited entourage ... BTW, educated "quebecois" are not necessarily the same as the "french canadians" you seem to be frequenting. As for the accent, obviously we usually know how to pronounce english.

I know you were probably just kidding and I am not trying to make it more than it is, but still, enough with that kind of bashing. Now back to topic ...
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Is this epidural stimulator the same thing that got all the news for the four paraplegics? If so does this technology only work if it's turned on, meaning they patients can only utilize motor function with this device when it's constantly stimulating the spinal cord, or once the spinal cord is stimulated is the return of function permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Is this epidural stimulator the same thing that got all the news for the four paraplegics? If so does this technology only work if it's turned on, meaning they patients can only utilize motor function with this device when it's constantly stimulating the spinal cord, or once the spinal cord is stimulated is the return of function permanent?
    Yes, it was epidural stimulation. Largely lost in all the media frenzy was the meaningful improvements the participants had experienced. Yes, it's true that they regained leg movement, and the ability to stand and step has helped them restore muscle mass and cardiovascular health. Remarkable, yes. However, every person with SCI should be intrigued by what has been experienced since receiving the implant. These include measurably improved autonomic function and blood pressure regulation; improved bowel, bladder, and sexual function; increased mobility and trunk strength; and for one participant, an important gain in temperature regulation. All four individuals have seen improvements in these secondary functions, explains Dr. Claudia Angeli, a senior researcher at the Human Locomotion Research Center at Frazier Rehab Institute who, along with Harkema, co-leads the project.

These changes seem to be long-lasting since they don't require the stimulation to be on, but they gradually improve as the individuals start and continue training with the stimulation. These changes are very gratifying to see, and are very important for the research participants because they have a direct impact on their quality of life. In other words, Angeli and her colleagues understand that these quality of life impacts are a very important aspect of their work perhaps even the most important. We're starting to look at all these things in more detail and developing projects around these improvements, says Angeli, the results, Angeli says that the secondary health improvements will take on a greater prominence.

Other work is taking place at UCLA, in the labs of Edgerton and colleague Dr.Daniel Lu. The two scientists recently started to study the same epidural stimulation for restoring hand function in people with quadriplegia. In fact, experiments with five participants have already taken place, and while data have not yet been published, Edgerton is optimistic. Our hypothesis with the upper extremity, Edgerton recently told The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, is that the cervical spinal cord probably will respond to interventions similar to what we have established in the lower spinal cord. Our results were better than we expected; we saw improvement in function including hand grip strength, also the ability to control that movement.

http://sci-bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/...2014-final.pdf

Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.