Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Epidural Stimulation Future Trials and Commercial Planning

That's a terrific group with many speakers lined up attacking paralysis from all sides!

Wonder if Silver has made any progress and if he'll attend? Still my golden boy .. or Silver I guess. Lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESRRR View Post
    Grammy

Could you please repost the list of speakers. I do not see them
    The speakers this year at W2W 2016 involved in the various stimulation pieces for SCI are:

David Darrow, MD, University of Minnesota, Epidural Stimulation for Spinal Cord Injury
    Kendall H. Lee, MD, PhD, Neural Engineering Laboratory, Mayo Clinic Spinal Cord Injury Project
    Megan Moynahan, MS, Executive Director, Institute for Functional Restoration at Case Western Reserve University
    Nick Terrafranca Jr., DPM, NeuroRecovery Technologies
    Michael Wolfson, PhD, Program Director, Division of Discovery Science & Technology (DDST)
    National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB)

Grammy do you think these stimulations can be effective in chronic lumbosacral patients too to regain BBS function?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Grammy do you think these stimulations can be effective in chronic lumbosacral patients too to regain BBS function?
    We'll know more possibilities after the human studies specifically target the anecdotal reports that we've heard about.

NIBIB described the need for a controlled, multi-site pilot clinical study of spinal stimulation in spinal cord injury subjects. The study design would be guided by the ultimate goal of gathering sufficient safety, efficacy and other data to inform the conduct of a future definitive trial for FDA approval or clearance of a market-approved spinal stimulation device. NIBIB outlined possible considerations for designing a pilot study, including the need to establish the most efficient route to identify an effective, transferrable treatment approach, with bladder, bowel and sexual function as primary outcomes. These include coordinated functional mapping studies to optimize the parameters for spinal stimulation to effect control of bladder, bowel, and sexual function in individuals with spinal cord injury. Additionally, it is important to specify the minimum number of subjects and trial sites to generate sufficient pilot data for a future large scale trial, and optimize a treatment approach for maximum scalability. LINK

Over 1,000 signatures on my petition now: https://www.change.org/p/bring-spina...edium=copylink

The University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Professor Edgerton, SpinalCure Australia (SpinalCure) and Spinal Cord Injuries Australia (SCIA) have collaborated on Project Edge to establish the first clinical neurostimulation research program outside the USA.

LINK with Video

I don't mean to sound flippant with this question: I truly don't understand...transcutaneous stimulation seems to do the same and even more than implanted Epidural stimulation so why use funds and effort pursuing the effects of implanted ES when more of that effort and funds should be put behind the transcutaneous avenue? I mean is there ANYTHING that can be achieved with the implanted form of Epidural stimulation that cannot be achieved with transcutaneous stimulation? So what is the point of using funds and resources to investigate implanted Epidural stimulation when there is already something better?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Implanted electrodes are capable of delivering the higher field strengths needed to see similar results in A/Completes whereas transcutaneous is predominantly successful in eliciting voluntary movement in Incompletes. So, obviously, one would first probably try mapping/stim with transcutaneous in case it is sufficient, but, if that doesn't work, implanted electrodes would likely work better.

My guess is that the real long-term value of both of implanted and transcutaneous stim is in retraining repaired tissues after some variety of stem cell implantation. Reconnecting axons that haven't been used for years and will likely have different "wiring" than they did previously will require retraining and stim seems a way to accomplish that efficiently.

Tethered Pelvic Assist Device (TPAD) and Epidural Stimulation for Recovery of Standing in Spinal Cord Injured Patients receives 5M grant for 5 years from the New York Spinal Cord Injury Board.

LINK