Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Epidural Stimulation Future Trials and Commercial Planning

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Will epistim reduce the cost of care? If yes, how much (more or less)?

That is what insurance companies want to know to decide if cover the cost or not.

Paolo
    It isn't pretty obvious there's been a market analysis completed along with payer reimbursements calculated for the known market size? In spinal cord injury and stroke (the 2 top paralysis categories) just in the USA, the cost to the U.S. Health Care system is over 100 billion dollars annually.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 11-06-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    They should send out everybody letters who has SCI with results thus far, heck if it is something that really is promising I would donate a grand and if everybody donated some they could raise that money easily. I'm just not convinced as much as I would like to be that it's going to be anything that is going to help us.
    I think this is spot on, I mean I can come up with some money to donate with relative ease but I need 'some' promise of results that I can hang my hat on. So far, everything is too 'iffy'
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    It isn't pretty obvious there's been a market analysis completed along with payer reimbursements calculated for the known market size? In spinal cord injury and stroke (the 2 top paralysis categories) just in the USA, the cost to the U.S. Health Care system is over 100 billion dollars annually.
    Sure it is pretty obvious, this is why I asked the question.
    Let me rephrase my question, given the cost to the U.S. Health Care system is over 100 billion dollars annually, do you (or someone else) know how much could that be potentially reduced by epidural stimulation if the results obseved so far will be confirmed?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Wrong. Currently there are no spinal cord stimulators approved to restore function from paralysis by any medical authority including the FDA. There are large medical device companies developing and commercializing implantable neurostimulation devices to treat chronic pain. Others are being developed for migraine, epilepsy and gastro-esophageal reflux. If there wasn't difficulty, it obviously would have been done many years ago. NeuroRecovery Technologies Inc. (Monarch Beach, CA) which is developing novel spinal-cord stimulator technology and holds the exclusive license to the IP related to it.

How do you know for sure what others are doing?

Perhaps it wasn't very clear what I meant to say, but I don't think I said there are spinal cord stimulators approved to restore function from paralysis...

It's just experimental as Susan Harkema has been doing starting from a stimulator available on the market, others can start in the same way, maybe they'll fail or maybe they'll do better. Time will tell.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Sure it is pretty obvious, this is why I asked the question.
    Let me rephrase my question, given the cost to the U.S. Health Care system is over 100 billion dollars annually, do you (or someone else) know how much could that be potentially reduced by epidural stimulation if the results obseved so far will be confirmed?
    Paolo
    There's at least 5 more years of study in all the stated categories that are being launched and funded in the Louisville research project so they can get the needed data and confirmation in all the categories they've described in their literature. To even make guesses and state an exact dollar amount after only 4 preliminary proof in concept participants with neuromodulation would be silly.

How do you know for sure what others are doing? Paolo
    I'm telepathic I guess...

I'm telepathic I guess...
    I for one admire your knowledge and tenacity.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The stimulation work that is the basis for Harkema's study has roots several years back by others. The bottom line is the stimulation excites nerve pathways that are left after cord contusion to a level where they activate from what appears to be a dormant state or close to it. There has not been any new spinal cord growth.

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    The stimulation work that is the basis for Harkema's study has roots several years back by others. The bottom line is the stimulation excites nerve pathways that are left after cord contusion to a level where they activate from what appears to be a dormant state or close to it. There has not been any new spinal cord growth.
    Exactly right. Reggie gave a super in-depth explanation of the science behind the stimulation and what is happening with the interneurons during his presentation in Seattle Washington at W2W 2014. He also explained how he envisions this strategy as being only a part of the recovery methods that will be available to clinicians to help. We'll have Dr. Edgerton's presentation up and ready to go early this next week in the U2FP Video Library. It was fascinating to watch his films and listen to his insights, so I'll be sure to post a thread here so nobody misses it. I've also made arrangements for Dr. Edgerton to be interviewed in the very near future so I'll be sure to put the interview up on the science blog as well.

I knew years ago there was something behind Epidural Stimulation and that it could help out in "SOME" cases. The main question is can it help out in a true proven long term complete injury? I will believe that when I see it. I would be shocked if it did, pardon the pun. I do believe it would make a difference in newer incompletes for sure, I have no trouble believing that.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred