Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Epidural Stimulation Future Trials and Commercial Planning

Could you two lads have waited for me to grab my popcorn? Either that or GTFO. My way or the high way.

Lol jk that would be a false dichotomy.

Hold on I'll grab a beer too... and let it work on my GABA channels to make this more entertaining. (See what I did there? That right there was a poor example of the elusive mechanism of action of alcohol I'm a big boy )

Lol I'll go get my coat.

You both have valid points. It makes me feel good that there are people who have inside information with what is going on with some of the latest technologies and how they are progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Asia is an American thing. ASIA = American Spinal Injury Association. Valid question as the A just indicates he can't feel his Anus ... thought I know that's now what it stands for! lol
    These designations are so confusing. "Complete" means no anus and "A" means no anus. So they are redundant...so the term ASIA A, Complete is silly. Also using "complete" for "no anus" is totally confusing because you can be walking but also "complete"...Sheesh!

Complete, to me, means flaccid with no spasms.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    You both have valid points. It makes me feel good that there are people who have inside information with what is going on with some of the latest technologies and how they are progressing.
    I'm friends with a participant and today watched a video of him pedaling a foot ergometer. He was originally a C5/B I believe. Stim isn't a "cure" but it sure seems a massive quality of life increase. I think it need all hands to get it to market asap.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Complete, to me, means flaccid with no spasms.
    I thought flaccid meant lower motor neuron damage, doesn't it?
    My designation is ASIA A/Complete and I have lots of spasticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I thought flaccid meant lower motor neuron damage, doesn't it?
    My designation is ASIA A/Complete and I have lots of spasticity.
    Whether you have spasms or not, has nothing to do with being complete.

If using ASIA, complete refers to no VOLUNTARY motor control AND no sensory feedback below the level of injury. Basically no feeling or movement below the level of injury.

As for whether or not you have spasms, this depends on your level of injury; lower level injuries tend to mean flaccid muscles - I can't remember exactly what level this happens on.

EDIT: I think below T12 = flaccid bladder, but a quick google search says that apparently flaccid muscles depend on what part of the cord is damaged and not the level... I'm sure someone will chime in.

Excuse my terminology - I'm a bit rusty in this area.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    Whether you have spasms or not, has nothing to do with being complete.

If using ASIA, complete refers to no VOLUNTARY motor control AND no sensory feedback below the level of injury. Basically no feeling or movement below the level of injury.

As for whether or not you have spasms, this depends on your level of injury; lower level injuries tend to mean flaccid muscles - I can't remember exactly what level this happens on.

EDIT: I think below T12 = flaccid bladder, but a quick google search says that apparently flaccid muscles depend on what part of the cord is damaged and not the level... I'm sure someone will chime in.

Excuse my terminology - I'm a bit rusty in this area.
    You are well oiled compared to some of the experts here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kbailey View Post
    Could you share information on the make and model of whatever he is using? Are you using this on your own or in conjunction with FES professionals?
    On our own with much help from Kennedy Krieger.

I believe the ASIA scale still labels one as "complete" even if they have some voluntary motor and/or sensation below the injury level because a few years back they redefined "complete" to mean no sacral motor or sensation. Hence I have some voluntary motor in my hip flexors but still classified as complete.