Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TiLite Camber Bar Question

TiLite Camber Bar Question

How many of you received your new TiLite wheelchair with spacers on the camber bar? It seems to me if you specify what the rear wheel spacing should be, the camber bar should be built to that spec with no spacers. I know it's probably not a big issue for some, but I rather not have the need to modify the camber bar in any way. That being no spacers.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

To me the presence or absence of spacers on the original camber bar would depend on the original tire width.

My expectation would be that the spacers enable future tire width changes while keeping the original spacing. Thus if my original tires were wide, I'd hope spacers would come installed so I could switch to narrow tires, and remove spacers to keep tire spacing the same.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Our ZRA received March 2013 did not have spacers. My expectation is that the camber tube should be the width as measured for the chair and rear wheel spacing without spacers. I think if people want spacers due to different hub widths they should specify this as an exception. Otherwise there would be no way of knowing how to measure, and you might end up with more spacers than optimal if you were switching to a different hub width.
    Last edited by elarson; 03-02-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added info
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I agree with elarson. My ZRA has 6 degrees of camber and because of that I went with extra spacing to accommodate the extra camber. My tube (CF) has no spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Our ZRA received March 2013 did not have spacers. My expectation is that the camber tube should be the width as measured for the chair and rear wheel spacing without spacers. I think if people want spacers due to different hub widths they should specify this as an exception. Otherwise there would be no way of knowing how to measure, and you might end up with more spacers than optimal if you were switching to a different hub width.

My TR3 has 2 deg camber and no spacers.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

The one who has seen the most is SCI-OTR. My guess is that the default is without spacers as I remember them being offered as a free tag along (not installed) option.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I figured it would be built to spec requested on CAD. My new TiLite came with 3 spacers on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
    I figured it would be built to spec requested on CAD. My new TiLite came with 3 spacers on each side.
    Three? How much space does three on one side use?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Three? How much space does three on one side use?
    I'm sorry. I looked at it again and it has two spacers on each side. They look to be an 1/8" in width.

My chair is 17" wide with a four degree camber. I asked for .75" on the rear wheel spacing. What would you expect to be installed on the wheelchair? With a zero degree camber that would make the width of the camber bar 18.5". Obviously, the 4 degree camber would increase that. The width of the camber bar as delivered is 17 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I agree with your assessment.