Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I wonder where I go from here

Seems I remember an in law going through urethral dilation a few decades ago. She had progressively larger diameter closed catheters inserted and left for a while until the muscles around the urethra relaxed. I assume the catheters had no eyelets to avoid scraps and infections. She had this procedure several times the way I understood it. Her bladder was fine.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

UD tellls you IF you are having a bladder contraction and what the pressure is.Add if there is back up in to ureters- the tubes that go toward your kidneys. Also tests your sphincters to see what they are doing. Hydrodistention is just putting water in your bladder.
    He probably doesn't have the UDS equipment or training and that is why he doesn't do it!
    Botox is a procedure that injects in to the muscle of the bladder- hundreds of little sticks, there is a special injector that I hope he has. He probably feels the hydrodistention helps his with the procedure. Botox totally relaxes your bladder to hold more and then prevents leakage and you will do IC to empty your bladder. It takes about 7 days to work. Can repeat every 6 months. Sometimes it lasts longer, sometimes less, sometimes it doesn't work. Ask him what type of botox he is using and how many units he plans to inject.
    CWO
    It does relax pressure but since you don't know if yours is high or not then?
    I would think there is some hospital in your area that does UDS testing.

Google the doctor's name and the hospital he is affiliated with. One site will tell you his specialties or areas of expertise and another his schooling, intern and residencies and if he is board certified in anything. Many disabilities require a neuro-urologist so you may need to travel but if it is one or two trips every 6 to 9 months I'd say it is worth it. Keep all your expenses like gas, tolls, parking, motel and food bills for tax purposes. Depending on income and other factors much of this is deducted on Schedule A of your 1040 Form along with insurance expenses, dental care and vision care that is not reimbursed, etc.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

How does he know it is your bladder- if he thinks you can hold 600 mls??? and not your sphincter or other issues that prevent your from keeping the urine in? But it is worth the try if you have no other option. and if the Myrbetriq worked then this might indicate it was an overactive bladder problem which is what botox works best on.
    CWO

He told me that he would be injecting 20 injections into the trigone area. Then 10 more above that. He didnt say what type. I didnt realize there was different botox's. I know he sent me home with a booklet.
    He told me that he still does UD from time to time, but feels its not necessary.He also knows that I dont have high pressure, and I dont know how he knows that.The last appointment was suppose to answer more questions, but it was late in the day, and 1 hour late. So everything was rushed.
    I understand what Botox will do.
    I just dont understand what uretral dilation will do.
    I currently do IC 4 times per day.
    He is listed with Botox as a certified Dr.
    Thank you Nurse CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    UD tellls you IF you are having a bladder contraction and what the pressure is.Add if there is back up in to ureters- the tubes that go toward your kidneys. Also tests your sphincters to see what they are doing. Hydrodistention is just putting water in your bladder.
    He probably doesn't have the UDS equipment or training and that is why he doesn't do it!
    Botox is a procedure that injects in to the muscle of the bladder- hundreds of little sticks, there is a special injector that I hope he has. He probably feels the hydrodistention helps his with the procedure. Botox totally relaxes your bladder to hold more and then prevents leakage and you will do IC to empty your bladder. It takes about 7 days to work. Can repeat every 6 months. Sometimes it lasts longer, sometimes less, sometimes it doesn't work. Ask him what type of botox he is using and how many units he plans to inject.
    CWO
    It does relax pressure but since you don't know if yours is high or not then?
    I would think there is some hospital in your area that does UDS testing.
    Last edited by lynnsgarden; 05-16-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to give thanks

Thank you Sue, he wrote in his notes: neurogenic behaving bladder, so I hope we find out something in these procedures. And I will have to look into someone to do a UD

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Google the doctor's name and the hospital he is affiliated with. One site will tell you his specialties or areas of expertise and another his schooling, intern and residencies and if he is board certified in anything. Many disabilities require a neuro-urologist so you may need to travel but if it is one or two trips every 6 to 9 months I'd say it is worth it. Keep all your expenses like gas, tolls, parking, motel and food bills for tax purposes. Depending on income and other factors much of this is deducted on Schedule A of your 1040 Form along with insurance expenses, dental care and vision care that is not reimbursed, etc.

I'm getting closer to my procedure, and wonder if the botox doesnt work, then I assume surgery would be next, think I read bladder augumention, or maybe it was something else.
    I wonder if 20 injections into the trigone, then 10 more above will trigger more incontinence. Anyone else had 20 injections into the trigone.

I still don't understand why you are against an SP.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I still don't understand why you are against an SP.
    First my Dr. wants me to continue straight cathing, and I'm ok with that, but think I know I will have to go back too a Foley or SP eventually.Regarding SP, I would like to wait till I retire. But not sure I will get that option.

http://www.medicinenet.com/urethral_stricture/page4.htm
    this website describes 4 ways to address an urethral stricture

pbr