Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Roll Caster Bearings

Soft Roll Caster Bearings

I just got a new set of Frog Legs with soft roll casters and they don't spin ANYTHING like these casters with ABEC7 608ZZ Shielded Bearings (8 for $10);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-IXIPWvcU

or like these casters with ABCE5 sealed bearings with ceramic balls (8 for $45);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6zdI7uBeQ

These videos are of course boring but also incredible. My brand new casters spin for about 5 seconds!

Anybody here change out your front caster bearings and get results like this? Thanks.

I have changed mine out, after using the stock bearings to the point of needing cleaning. I have have used and use various Bone Swiss bearings and they indeed roll very nice, but I have yet to get any to spin as such in the youtube videos I have seen. My bearings need cleaned every month or two and I can feel when they are starting to seize up and notice a difference once cleaned and re-lubed.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Make sure the internal spacers are in place on your bearings; improperly spaced bearings will exhibit reduced spin. If tightening/loosening your axle changes how the bearings spin, they are improperly spaced.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I call bull on these videos. First there is no load on the wheels. The only real way to test the rollabity is with a load. Then a shielded bearing isn't good for a wheelchair. It will allow dirt, water into the bearing. You need sealed bearings. As chasmengr has said before, you don't need a grade 7 bearing to go 5 mph in a wheelchair. I'd also bet those bearing in the vids have no grease in them. Grease is your friend. It keeps dirt and water out. I've had the same set of bearings for more years than I can remember, because I clean and pack them with new grease every year.

I noticed the same thing when I first got mine, and again when I replaced my bearings, even with everything aligned and spaced. I think it may be because they're packed with grease when you first get them and it takes a while to ''break them in'' (or get enough rain, snow, slush, salt days) for the grease to thin. After a bit they were spinning great. Give it a little while and see how they spin?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I just got a new set of Frog Legs with soft roll casters and they don't spin ANYTHING like these casters with ABEC7 608ZZ Shielded Bearings (8 for $10);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-IXIPWvcU

or like these casters with ABCE5 sealed bearings with ceramic balls (8 for $45);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6zdI7uBeQ

These videos are of course boring but also incredible. My brand new casters spin for about 5 seconds!

Anybody here change out your front caster bearings and get results like this? Thanks.
    I believe CCC member TOTO made those videos. He was investigating ceramic bearings. TOTO is a master mechanic who consults with a major high-end European wheelchair designer/company. He can produce Ferrari results; that caster spin is not typical; it's what can be achieved under near-laboratory conditions when money is no object. I use Bones Reds bearings in my casters. They roll really well.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I believe CCC member TOTO made those videos. He was investigating ceramic bearings. TOTO is a master mechanic who consults with a major high-end European wheelchair designer/company. He can produce Ferrari results; that caster spin is not typical; it's what can be achieved under near-laboratory conditions when money is no object. I use Bones Reds bearings in my casters. They roll really well.
    I also use Bones Reds in my casters and I agree they do roll really well.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I call bull on these videos. First there is no load on the wheels. The only real way to test the rollabity is with a load. Then a shielded bearing isn't good for a wheelchair. It will allow dirt, water into the bearing. You need sealed bearings. As chasmengr has said before, you don't need a grade 7 bearing to go 5 mph in a wheelchair. I'd also bet those bearing in the vids have no grease in them. Grease is your friend. It keeps dirt and water out. I've had the same set of bearings for more years than I can remember, because I clean and pack them with new grease every year.
    What kind of grease do you like to use?

Which Bones Reds are you guys using? I see 8 different types. Also, are they all the same and proper size for a set of Frog Legs? Thanks.

http://bonesbearings.com/skateboard-bearings

I am using the L2's and have used the Super Swiss, both with good results.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982