Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: upgrading from XP

Oh hey as an aside...could you keep xp as a partition on your mac/pc WITH Windows 8 etc.?

I have a mac and have windows xp in bootcamp, thinking maybe split it again and have windows 8 as well?.

My worry is that my old workhorse autocadlt 2000 might not function in Windows 8
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

...or will xp mode do the trick? is that even in the new windows???
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

XP mode is not in Windows 8. I have Windows 7 Professional with XP mode. XP mode will no longer be supported by Microsoft after April 8, 2014. One of my computers is a Intel iMac running Windows XP in Apple's Boot Camp. I use XP once a week for three hours. I recently purchased a copy of Windows 7. Security expert Steve Gibson, states, you can use Windows XP safely after April 8, 2014.

Partial transcripts from Security Now episode 445.
    Steve: So, okay. The honest truth is I think concern over lack of security patches for XP is overheated and overblown.

Leo: Oh, good. Oh, that's good news.

Steve: I do.

Leo: Why do you say that, Steve?

Steve: Well, I haven't used any since SP2.

Leo: Patches?

Steve: Yeah.

Leo: Why not?

Steve: My machine never liked SP3. It broke it in some way. And I removed SP3. And what was that, many years ago?

Leo: Oh, yeah.

Steve: And I haven't...

Leo: It was notorious, by the way. You should try it again, because I think they fixed it.

Steve: Well, I guess my point is I'm just fine without patches for XP because I do all of the other good things. I get no spam. I don't click on links in spam. I am very careful with what I do. I use Firefox, famously, with NoScript turned on. And one of my laptops stopped being able to update. There were some - and many people, this happens to many people where some update gets stuck, and it keeps saying that it's going to reinstall this update. I've spent countless hours trying to unstick this laptop, like looked everywhere. I can't do it. And it's like, okay, well, seems to be fine. I use it. I'm careful. So, I mean, so I really do believe that people should not be freaking out over the idea that they're not going to get their monthly feed of patches from Microsoft.
    Now, we just saw last week in the statistics that we shared about the virtue of not running as an administrator, 100% of 2013's problems that involved Internet Explorer were blocked if you were not running as an admin, 100% of them. So, and we don't know for a fact that it's going to block all future ones. But it blocked most of the problems, just not being an admin privileged user.

Leo: But only 92% of the problems in general. Right?

Steve: Right. So I just wouldn't hyperventilate, everybody. You and I famously, Leo, don't run third-party AV tools on our machines. I'm just careful with what I do. And I don't - this is not the normal advice I give people. I tell everybody run antivirus because I think it's generally a good thing to do. But if you behave yourself, I mean, it just isn't like your machine will immediately become encrusted with malware the moment Microsoft stops feeding your machines its monthly update.

Leo: I'm not sure I agree with you on this one, Steve.

Steve: Oh, okay.

Leo: I shouldn't disagree with the famous Steve Gibson.

Steve: No, I recognize it's a...

Leo: It's contrarian. You understand that.

Steve: Yup. And maybe it only applies to somebody who really understands the dangers. But I've never...

Leo: But the real issue of these exploits is that they, I mean, the reason exploits are an issue is because they don't require user cooperation, that they take advantages of flaws in the operating system.

Steve: Well, typically, the major vector, we've seen Flash exploits, we've seen PDF exploits, and we've seen browser exploits. So those are...

Leo: Those you're not - I'm not worried about you with those, obviously.

Steve: Right, well, I mean, that's really it. That's where all the problems are coming from.

Leo: Yeah. You wouldn't get CryptoLocker if you didn't get fooled by the phony PDF and so forth.

Steve: Right. Or lick the link in email that said, oh, look, we have a payroll update for you that you weren't expecting. It's like, what? Wait a minute? I'm not expecting that. And so you would click on the link, and it runs the malware.

Leo: So, okay. But to answer these guys' questions, if a machine's on the LAN but not actively going on the Internet, are they vulnerable?

Steve: No. You're not vulnerable. I would say increase your security, switch over to - many people ask, hey, how do I change my existing account to a non-admin because I'm all set up right now, all of - my username and all that. I can't create a new account and reinstall everything. And you don't have to. You create another account, give it admin privileges, and then change your main account to standard user. So you just demote it to lower privileges. So I would say do that. I would say, if you are an AV user, certainly third-party antivirus isn't going to stop functioning. And we did hear that Microsoft is going to continue supporting the whatever it is, the little green house that we've got.

Leo: Security Essentials, or Defender.

Steve: Yeah, Security Essentials. That's going to continue for some time, too. Yeah, so I just - I don't see it as the end of the world. It's 34 days, by the way. I've got my little down counter here.

Leo: Do you not think it's the case, though, that the bad guys have got exploits in their pocket that they're not going to release till after April 8th because they don't want Microsoft to fix them, and after April 8th a vast trove, I would imagine, of effective exploits will be released.

Steve: We'll be covering it here. And I don't - we'll have to see, either way, if that's the case. I mean, I would never suggest that somebody who isn't security aware, I would never suggest some random user using XP and Internet Explorer, who's using a laptop and clicking on every link and every email that they encounter, do this. But, I mean, for example, both John and Evelien are clearly security conscious.

Leo: Yeah. They're asking the right questions, yeah.

Steve: They have a huge investment in the configuration of XP. And it's not out. They're not walking around in open coffee shops and exposing it. They have situations where they just sort of want to know will it still be safe. And my point is it won't start to crumble the moment Windows stops sending it its monthly updates. It is still there. It's still a robust, very mature operating system. And while it's true that we see that mistakes Microsoft is making generally reflect all the OSes all the way back, these things generally are things you have to go and get. They're problems you have to seek out in one way or the other, clicking on links, going to malicious sites, getting Flash or old versions of Java, running old versions of Java. So my feeling is, if you remove Flash from your browser, you don't have Java running, you use Firefox with NoScript so you're not running scripts - especially, I mean, some of these machines they're not even doing web surfing from. They just want to be able to use the machine. I don't see any reason not to.

Leo: I'm trying to think of a counter example, of something that you might get just by - remember the old days of - was it Melissa or Stuxnet and others which - they were network worms; right?

Steve: Right.

Leo: You're not concerned about a network worm?

Steve: No, because now we've got, since SP2, we've got the firewall turned on. Everybody's behind NAT routers. NAT routers protected you. The only way you could get a worm is if you had a machine directly on the Internet with - and this is pre-firewall, either third-party add-on or finally when Microsoft turned it on in XP, or you turned it on before SP2 in XP. There you really had exposed ports, which of course is why I did Shields UP! was to let people know, like, oh, my god, these ports are actually open and exposed to the Internet. But those days are really behind us.

Leo: Wow. I'm going to have to readjust my thinking because I've been one of the people loudly banging the gong to get off XP.

Steve: Well, I mean, there isn't a reason not to. It's time to move to Windows 7. I will migrate myself. I mean, I'm hearing other people say I tried to use 7, but things I use gave me a problem. So I've got - I have a machine ready to configure. I will start moving my stuff over and just sort of take it easy and see how it goes.
    https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-445.htm
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thumbs up

http://blog.avast.com/2014/03/12/ava...usiness-users/

AVAST will continue to support Windows XP for home and business users

My computer is to old for upgrade. Don't want to buy (afford) a new one. Used avast free antivirus for years. Liked it.

Am in the procecc of learning ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

"You can try Ubuntu without actually installing it on your computer?s hard drive. You can do this by starting up your computer with either an Ubuntu DVD in the drive or a USB stick with Ubuntu on it in a USB port. Here?s how:" http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...re-you-install (It even boots to internet)
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

In dollar terms this end of xp could cost me as much as over $4400.

new computer $2700 Apple Mac 27" (granted, I could get a Mac mini or a generic PC though) + new autocad lt 2014 $1700 = $4400....oh windows 8.1 how much is that?.

my old 21.5" Mac can't run 8.1 in bootcamp....with VMware it will...there's another $70!.

thanks microsoft....lol. Let's hope we who haven't jumped yet don't get hacked by miscreants!.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    That's not an upgrade, this is an upgrade.