Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrading from XP

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Well, apparently at the time has come for this limited knowledge person to upgrade from Windows XP. Apparently, I have no simple upgrade path that will save my data, whether to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. So, any recommendations on which way I should go, and how to save my data so I can copy it back to my new set up, whichever turns out to be?

Thank you
    Do you have McAfee as your security? Their total protection package can save your stuff to their cloud and the basic package covers up to 3 units. I think mine ran about $85 or $90. If you run at 64 bit I'd try upgrading to 8. If you still are at 32 go to 7.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I don't like dell laptops. I got a thinkpad X1 carbon, 2.8 pounds 2560x1440 screen resolution, 500gb ssd. I travel quite a bit and for size/weight/power you can't beat it. As for tablets I have a Kindle HDX, I am not a big fan of iPads.
    What is their support like? I'm not a road warrior user and won't take a laptop on vacations because they are still too large to stick in a room safe. I loved the IBM desktops and borrowed a Thinkpad once for a few weeks and just remember it ran cooler. Oh, Dells do seem to acquire grit and dirt in the CD/DVD slot that causes real problems. My only complaint about the iPad is how slippery they are. I have quad fingers so the grab and other touch screen features don't get much use from me. And reading how Barnes and Noble is on several lists predicting bankruptcy I wish I had gone for a multi use Kindle instead of the HD Nook. But with an add on textured cover I do get a lot of use out of my Nook.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I pay for the on site 2 year support. Works great, I had the cable from the motherboard to the display come loose and the screen went all wonky, some dude (actually dudette) came out the next day and fixed it. Thinkpads (at least mine) with Windows 8 comes with Dragon built in (there is even a hot key for launching it).

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    What is their support like? I'm not a road warrior user and won't take a laptop on vacations because they are still too large to stick in a room safe. I loved the IBM desktops and borrowed a Thinkpad once for a few weeks and just remember it ran cooler. Oh, Dells do seem to acquire grit and dirt in the CD/DVD slot that causes real problems. My only complaint about the iPad is how slippery they are. I have quad fingers so the grab and other touch screen features don't get much use from me. And reading how Barnes and Noble is on several lists predicting bankruptcy I wish I had gone for a multi use Kindle instead of the HD Nook. But with an add on textured cover I do get a lot of use out of my Nook.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Is there such thing as a Windows upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Microsoft will end support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This means that there will be no more security updates for XP.
    Now if for every known security exploit they fix they create ten more unknown ones then this new stability will be a good thing.

If the security exploits are known then they can be mitigated at the firewall without creating any more.

If the security exploits are unknown then you can not mitigate them. However, those in the know will exploit them without your knowledge. The Chinese are in the know.

Windows machines should not be connected to a network. If you need a particular app on one to talk to a particular app on another then allow just that communication and also validate the protocol.

I was shocked to find defence run Microsoft Windows XP, but they do it this way with one machine for each app with its own Oracle license.

In our corporate SOE we had Windows XP and recently went to 7. We do not run masquerading NAT and force use of proxy to validate and log traffic. Many new problems have found and stopped with this.

Install Linux or get a Mac. I refuse to use my credentials on any Windows machine. I used to always used change my password after on a clean machine, but now I just don't use Windows. {

Do you have McAfee as your security? Their total protection package can save your stuff to their cloud and the basic package covers up to 3 units. I think mine ran about $85 or $90. If you run at 64 bit I'd try upgrading to 8. If you still are at 32 go to 7.
    I have Norton. And I'm a 32-bit, but my computer knowledgeable friend says I should upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I have Norton. And I'm a 32-bit, but my computer knowledgeable friend says I should upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7.
    Sounds like the experts say you need to totally dump your XP. Do check what Norton now offers. I had them until the DoD switched to Mcfee. My laptop just turned 5 and I got it with Widows 7 home edition in 64 bit and until about 2 years ago most programs I used only came in 32. I'm looking at a new laptop instead of dealing with the upkeep these things need after 5 years. If you have to buy Windows 7 to keep yours running it may be better to upgrade the machine too. Oh, my McAfees was more like $67 for 3 devices.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I pay for the on site 2 year support. Works great, I had the cable from the motherboard to the display come loose and the screen went all wonky, some dude (actually dudette) came out the next day and fixed it. Thinkpads (at least mine) with Windows 8 comes with Dragon built in (there is even a hot key for launching it).
    I had the 3 year version on this and then added another two when the spouse retired and I lost his IT department help. Talk about expert help but yes, I've used the next day help 3 times through the warranty support. Well worth it. I looked at the laptop you're using and like the non-touch screen version that comes with the built in CD/DVD player even with the added weight. I just do not want the red lint ball in the keyboard and need spaces between keys. I think it's almost time to go look at the different brands in person. I like the stability of my Dell Studio 1745 in bed but it is big and heavy for summertime deck use or any possible courses at the UW. And Lenovo is basically an IBM. My first computer ran IBM-DOS and was the size of a house...

I have used thinkpads for so long I can't function without my red nubbie! I almost got the Helix (the one that the screen detaches and becomes a tablet) but didn't because of the weight and I already have a tablet.

I had the 3 year version on this and then added another two when the spouse retired and I lost his IT department help. Talk about expert help but yes, I've used the next day help 3 times through the warranty support. Well worth it. I looked at the laptop you're using and like the non-touch screen version that comes with the built in CD/DVD player even with the added weight. I just do not want the red lint ball in the keyboard and need spaces between keys. I think it's almost time to go look at the different brands in person. I like the stability of my Dell Studio 1745 in bed but it is big and heavy for summertime deck use or any possible courses at the UW. And Lenovo is basically an IBM. My first computer ran IBM-DOS and was the size of a house...

The change to Win 7 is done. And I have my data.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Actually, if you are using a desktop computer, you can buy Start8 for $4.95, and Win8.1 will be a lot like Win 7, and I feel it is a more stable system.
    Also, you can u se Classic Shell. It's free and it will give you the XP look.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."