Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying wheels from sportaid

Buying wheels from sportaid

Probably a dumb question, but this is the first time I'm paying out of pocket for new wheels. Anyone know if the Spinergy wheels on Sportaid.com are sold as pairs/ sets, or are the sold as individual wheels? I couldn't find anything that indicated either way. The price for the SLX wheels is just under $600...

Pairs. It's the little "pr" just after the price on the SLX page.

I bought a pair of LX wheels and axles from Sportaid last year, and was impressed. The tyres I wanted weren't on their drop-down list, but they accommodated the request without further charge, and the wheels arrived safely and promptly here in New Zealand with the tyres pumped up and the axles correctly adjusted for my chair. This was a pleasant surprise after being assured by a local supplier that if I ordered from Sportaid I'd receive a box full of parts and have to assemble my own wheels! They occasionally have a sale on wheels--I think you've just missed a 10% off weekend. If you can afford to wait, another one will probably come up sooner or later. When I bought my LXs, it was 20% off rear wheels. But the everyday price is pretty durn good anyway, IMHO.

It is for both as noted above. But I have a question for you. It is one that has been on my mind a long time, so this is an opportunity to ask. How did you decide which Spinergy set to buy? LX is currently priced the same at Sportaid and a bit lighter. In fact why not Spox and save a little cash? Do they use different bearings? There is nothing I've seen that says the bearings are any different. I just don't understand the differences between the wheels in terms of rolling resistance, which to me is what is important.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I prefer the look of the LX or SLX over the Spox. I like the look of less spokes and it's easier to reach through the wheel into the pouch hanging under my chair. As far as LX vs SLX...I actually ment to type LX. The only difference I can find is the LX is slightly lighter.

i may wind up with the Spox anyways, depending on final cost once I add tires & axles.

Why sportaid?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm a person of habit...I buy other items from Sportaid and have gotten good customer service. No one was selling what I was looking for on the boards here and already checked ebay & Craigslist too.

Because Bike-on's price is clearly higher than Sportaids's.

we will beat any price colin. just show it to me and its done. I have done that for many here.

sledgirl, I totally understand. everyone has a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    Because Bike-on's price is clearly higher than Sportaids's.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I was with Sportaid for 13 years. I started with them and just stayed because there wasn't another option really. I liked the personal touch though things didn't always go right. I left Sportaid for Bike-On and I can't imagine going back. Everyone at Bike-On knows their stuff. The service has been great and I've been helped to make decisions and find things that I wouldn't have otherwise. I can't put a price on that. The cushion I'm sitting on now has let me stay in my chair all day. I never could do that before and it sits on top of a carbon fiber seat pan that Stephen at Bike-On recommended and found for me. I was going to re-order the Tilite solid seatpan that I had and needed replacing. Stephen got me to go with the CF pan which weighed less, cost less and offers a more comfortable ride. It's also easier to use and with Stephen's advice I was able to get rid of all the screws I'd used for the Tilite pan and go with Velcro instead. It's worked perfectly since I got it. Stephen is my guy and Bike-On is my place.

Getting the right equipment is crucial. I can't say enough about that. The folks at Bike-On have guided me to the right stuff for me and no one has been able to do that before. There were some nice folks at SportAid and some not so great people but it was always an awkward ordering process and though the people were usually polite I never got the kind of personal attention I get with Bike-On. I think they can match prices but if they couldn't I would still stay with them. Owning the right equipment is crucial and Bike-On has helped me get there. Thank you to Sportaid for getting me equipment over the years but thank you Bike-On for going the extra step and helping me get the right equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Why sportaid?

great feedback grommet. we always like to hear what our customers like or don't like about our service.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com