Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: foley catheter

foley catheter

Hi,
    I always used external catheter (condom) since my accident in 1991. But now I have foley catheter since 3 weeks. I decided to go to clinic here in Florida (Im on vacation) to install it because I had too much difficulty to pee with my condom. Now I don't have any problem with that but the other problem is that I sweat a lot on my back since I installed it. At the end of the day, my t-shirt is wet in the back. It happens only when I m seated. As soon as I go to bed, it stops.
    Anyone who knows the reason? Can I do or take something to stop that sweating? It's so unconfortable for me.
    Thank you
    Steve

The catheter tip may be irritating the bladder wall. The catheter drainage holes may be occluded by a fold in the bladder wall or by sediment. The change of position from sitting to lying down may cause the catheter to change positions in the bladder and relieve the autonomic symptoms you are experiencing.

All the best,
    GJ

thx, I'll try to change my sitting position ...
    If other have different opinion, go ahead

If you're using a 100% silicone catheter that might be the cause. They are quite stiff and might be irritating your bladder. I get mild AD from them so I use coated latex which are pliable.

Also, you can try changing the placement of the balloon by moving the catheter around gently. Also are you using a leg strap or typing it to the id of your leg? Make sure you are drinking enough, 2-3 liters a day. Make the liquid intake be more water than anything else.

Hope this helps.

CKF

I also use latex cath...
    Thx

I use leg strap with bag

I drink a lot of water..minimum 3L/day

Is there a possibility you have a latex reaction and the latex foley you are using is causing an allergic type reaction.

All the best,
    GJ

I have some sediment...no dark urine, no fever. I have macrobid with me, maybe I could begin to take it now...
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    Any sediment in the tube? Any other sign of infection dark urine, fever, etc?

Maybe, I have to go to clinic next Monday to change the cath. I'll talk with him about it.
    But I only sweat when I m seated in my wheelchair, if it was latex reaction, I would sweat in my bed also. . ????
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Is there a possibility you have a latex reaction and the latex foley you are using is causing an allergic type reaction.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by Steve; 02-20-2014 at 10:25 AM.