Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bladder regime

New bladder regime

I finally met with my urologist, he gave me a medication that will calm the spasms in my bladder and lower the pressure. He said I need to cath every four hours and for my caregivers convenience we can put a condom catheter on at night. Now he didn't stay to explain much kind of rushed, So I haven't started yet. The question I have is once I take the medication will I no longer need to wear a condom catheter during the day and only do the schedule catheters? Will there still be leakage. He really didn't explain anything, right now the pressure is so strong in my bladder that I constantly void through the day. He did say if I continue with this pressure that ill lose my kidneys. And he also said that the dyslexia, and infections would stop occurring as much. If a successful regimen is started Will my spasms be More tolerable

Blog Entries
    The med should reduce the pressure you feel, and stop leakage. I take ditropan (oxybutinin Chloride) every 8 hours, and normally cath every 4 to 6 hours. I used to stop drinking after supper, cath after I got in bed, and could usually make it through the night without leaking. As I got older, I would leak at night sometimes, and finally most of the time. I now put in a foley about 9 or 10 and keep it until after bowel care and shower. Works well for me at almost 21 years post and age 67.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

The medication should help to calm your bladder down. You may notice an increase in spasms if you are getting a UTI, so it is good to have a handle on that. The intermittent cath will help to maintain your bladder capacity, but not stretch it. You should monitor your cath results and how much you drink. If you drink more than usual, you may need to cath a little more frequently that day. If you can stop drinking around 8 or 9, you should be able to cath around 12 and hopefully go through the night dry.

Try to stay away from caffeinated beverages. They will irritate your bladder and can increase your bladder spasms.

CKF

Did he suggest the enclosed catheters or the straight catheters? If your insurance will cover the enclosed kits they cut back even more on UTIs and make cathing away from home much easier.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Did he suggest the enclosed catheters or the straight catheters? If your insurance will cover the enclosed kits they cut back even more on UTIs and make cathing away from home much easier.
    He didn't say.

After using these meds, if my bladder fills during the night will it reflex void like it does now, or because pressure is lowered will it just push to kidneys and do damage.

i gotta talk about my own body in third person wow!

Chances are you may reflex void a bit, the spasms will cause some urine to leak out of the penis. Chances are you won't empty your bladder completely, leaving residual urine (which contributes to urinary tract infecton), and you may have reflux into the kidneys depending on how much pressure there is in the bladder. Anticholinergic medications can only do so much, and it usually isn't enough. You may also be dealing with DSD - detrusor sphincter dysynergia where the bladder muscles and the external sphincter muscles are not coordinated. With increasing bladder pressure and DSD, you will probably have increased levels and symtoms of autonomia. Urodynamics studies will help to guide your urologist in deciding what your safest bladder management technique should be.

Agree with GJ in that you probably should have a GU workup. That will give your physician a better handle on how to manage your bladder.

CKF

let me explain my urologist came in for probably less than five minutes said take these meds you're going to have to cath More often, my dad got worried he'd have to cath at night then The doctor said well cath four times a day then use a condom at night. Then left, his nurse came in I asked her I'm a little confused how to maintain my bladder, she said ill go ask him. Came back said he wants you to cath Every six hours four times a day.

so gave me two answers, left me completely confuse, now I should be taking the meds but I can't cause, I have no clue how to manage my bladder. So if I take the meds Every four hours and use a Condon at night stop drinking around eight do one at 10 PM will I be alright to say 8 am, theoretically is it common for this medication to prevent reflexed voiding, even though I have reflexed voided since injury? Like this guy gave me five minutes just so he could hurry to his Mercedes, doesn't care that I'm suffering from reoccurring stones and infections and potential future kidney failure. FUCK!!!!

This is just my opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone. But in Canada right now there is a big debate between assisted suicide. Drs. are fighting against it saying they feel like they're killing someone. Yet they feel no guilt in leaving someone with 10 tubes in them, 40 pills a day trapped in a hospital bed. And then just go play golf (stereotype because of my stepdad who is a doctor sorry) free Conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    let me explain my urologist came in for probably less than five minutes said take these meds you're going to have to cath More often, my dad got worried he'd have to cath at night then The doctor said well cath four times a day then use a condom at night. Then left, his nurse came in I asked her I'm a little confused how to maintain my bladder, she said ill go ask him. Came back said he wants you to cath Every six hours four times a day.

so gave me two answers, left me completely confuse, now I should be taking the meds but I can't cause, I have no clue how to manage my bladder. So if I take the meds Every four hours and use a Condon at night stop drinking around eight do one at 10 PM will I be alright to say 8 am, theoretically is it common for this medication to prevent reflexed voiding, even though I have reflexed voided since injury? Like this guy gave me five minutes just so he could hurry to his Mercedes, doesn't care that I'm suffering from reoccurring stones and infections and potential future kidney failure. FUCK!!!!

This is just my opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone. But in Canada right now there is a big debate between assisted suicide. Drs. are fighting against it saying they feel like they're killing someone. Yet they feel no guilt in leaving someone with 10 tubes in them, 40 pills a day trapped in a hospital bed. And then just go play golf (stereotype because of my stepdad who is a doctor sorry) free Conscience.
    Just a tip or two, I've had similar, feels like you're on a conveyor belt and they go ''okay next'' huh? Then you kind of wonder if they're not just hoping the ER will take care of you if issues come up, easier for them. But truth is, if you don't push, they'll think you get it and leave you be. You NEED to ask more questions, don't leave until you get your answers and understand, even if it means bothering the nurse to ask him AGAIN. They'll try and rush you, of course, that's how it goes, but ask while you can because you never know how many months it'll be until you get to see them again. I learned the hard way. *You* are the one dealing with this day in day out, not them, they get to deal with the next patient and go home at night, know what I mean? You can always try calling or seeing your family doc...some will take questions via phone message or fax and relay them to your primary care provider (which is quicker than you waiting months or have questions unanswered).

Or perhaps you should get a more understanding and patient urologist lined up (I know takes months), if so, start now! Til then, I guess this place saves our butts time and time again!