Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dollar general won't read or understand the service dog ADA laws.

[QUOTE=jody;1726409]no. I don't know of any Cil's.
    My physiatrist is to meet Barney next month.
    He raises Rhodesian ridgebacks and shows them at AKC shows. there is a show in greenvile in july I hope attend.
    I wouldn't mind finding a group that does mushing or sulky events, or even start a group.

Jody,
    That's great! He will probably have some ideas for you. Ask him if he is a conformation person, obedience person, or both. A good conformation person will have knowledge of ideas that should be helpful.

There are many dog activities that you could get into with your Barney.
    Agility is the most common and lots of disabled people compete. Most disabled people teach their dogs to work at a distance rather than running the course with the dog. This works for people with walking problems, wheelchair, power chair users. Power chair users can go faster and may do the course right behind the dog, some do, some don't. You go to a spot that works for you to direct the dog and dog runs the course with voice and hand signals from you. You use those words and gestures from the first class and build from that.

There's Rally
    AKC obedience competition
    Tracking
    Weight Pulling
    Carting
    Dock Diving (and you stand in one spot for that anyway.)
    Flyball
    Free Style and I'm sure I've missed something here.

I have a friend in California who has Spina Bifida and has been in a chair since she was 11. Her last dog was a German Shepherd who she trained herself to be her SD. She had a lot of training people that helped her out with ways to do things. She also is friends with a few trainers at CCI.
    She now has a new German Shepherd. He's young, 18 months. She is training him in Schutzhund and on the side he is learning some SD tasks.

We can do whatever we set our minds to do! I would love nothing more than to get back in the ring with my dog. I will, but not until I have a place with a ramp and transportation to do what I want.

The problem I'm having right now is that I feel like a total novice again. I've had to re-learn stupid stuff, like holding a leash and wheeling, how to get into different positions with a clunky chair, teaching a straight close front when I'm in a sitting position.I feel clumsy and like a failure with so many of the things that I can do inside out, but not from a sitting position. At least can't be done the way I used to do it.

Ask your physiotherapist the name of the local AKC obedience club and that's the first contact to go to. If there isn't a close one, ask the name of the local all breed kennel club. They will know the local training club information.

LOL! Yep, we always get referred to Senior organizations. OK, I'm 63, but I don't have any need, or desire for senior activities, senior day care, bingo, canasta, poker, bridge, square dancing, talent night, or music night where you get some off key Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra crap I don't watch re-runs of Lawrence Welk either! Somebody save me!

Here is a link to the Anatolian Shepherd Club of America that may be helpful http://www.asdca.org. Read the AKC standard. The only different types refers to coat type and there are only 2 allowed. Short or Rough coat. All colors are allowed. Size in height, weight and head, tail and body descriptions are the same for either coat type.

This is a link to my friend in California, who is now in the San Diego area. Just for fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_f63...CCYwwL&index=1

What city are you closest to in, is it South Carolina?

I get a lot of stuff from Amazon too. I finally broke down and paid for prime. It pays for itself after you have a few really heavy items shipped to you. If I'm desperate, I order 40 pound bags of cat litter, every now and then I get 2. I still comparison shop for the cheapest with shipping added in.

K9
    Ban the DEED,Not the BREED!

Id get into carting I think. I enjoyed agility. iv never seen a disabled person doing agility. If it were possible without running the coarse.

from the pictures in the office it looks like the physiatrist does conformation. breed and group shows.

We have several agility dogs at our dog .park. Most are hyper active sheep dogs of one sort or another. There are also many dock divers. Our closest dog park is a mile away and 20 acres right on a slow river so it has two doggie diving platforms and a beach. Maggie was late to swimming for a retriever but loves going out during the warm months now from the beech. Our last dog, Reggie, was a serious jump and swim type from about 8 months on. The only added cost to this great park is $30 a year with discounts for multi dog families. It's free to all humans as a county park. The last Saturday this month is the spring clean up. Everyone volunteers to go pick up poop that couldn't be found or seen over the winter and saplings get new wrappings and any rabbit fencing that needs fixed is done. New mulch is laid on the walking trail and my powerchair goes over it well once the ground is dry. The county has park rangers who go in every other day in winter and daily the rest of the year to restock poop scooper bags, change out the garbage bin liners and check for park tags. One no tag ticket is 50 so most get them renewed at the beginning of the year. One kid got his Eagle Scout rank by building wood benches for along the walking path but obviously had no idea what male dogs think of such items... You might find a 4-H group who will help with you training Barney. Back in Maryland obedience training is big with the non-farm kids.

All states have a State Center for Independent Living. You just need to find them and where the nearest CIL to you is.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Iv asked. they send you to the seniors center or to Greenville, which is an hour away from me.
    strangely there is a vocational rehab very nearby, to which I applied. its all workman's comp injuries. they too suggested the senior center for anything having to do with disability.
    Greenville is too far for me to drive for everything.

I got into obedience and agility, through 4H.
    I used mostly boarder collie mixes.

when I worked for a dachshund breeder, after growing out of the foster care system, I fell into the AKC sports groups. they ran a boarding kennel and I ended up picking up a Rhodesian ridgeback cross that wasn't picked up. She got rehomed due to the four months I put in on obedience and agility training in their training pen.

After that, I trained several dogs and competed in the open, and local AKC agility, and CD.
    I think my cairn was the smartest aside from a boarder collie.

This Anatolian shepherd is not of the same mind and motivations as Scottish sheep, and terrier breeds.

if he doesn't feel like being trained that day he will just ignore you. bored yawn, and turn his back to you.

I imagine that might be how he met with a beating or two.

He will intrude, be pushy, rude, and defiant, sneaky, ..... He gained respect when he learned I won't accept any silliness like that.

Iv had to train roomie on how not to be pushed around, dragged around, or buffaloed, yet at the same time, Barney understood that that the cat just out of surgery was in need of watching over and he was as gentle and cautions as if she were a baby chick.

the same when I came home from my stomach biopsy a couple weeks ago. Once he figured out I am blind in low light, and that my feet and balance are messed up, his job was apparent.

I think he would enjoy dry land mushing or sulky, but any kind of adventure with traveling, or exploring is good with him.

He has to be watched closely at the dog park. he will push around dogs weaker than he. now that he understands we will leave, he has manners.

Most of the people at the dog park we go to demand good manners.
    we leave if two certain dogs come in. they want to hump, or start fights with every dog in there.

most people pick up after their dogs, and a small group of us spend an hour picking up missed poo every weekend.

we do have a problem in our apartment complex with someone leaving their dogs poo.

I think we need to put up reminder signs, that all poo is to be picked up.
    we were accused of being the culprits because of the size of the poo, but I figured out who it was and offered her a roll of poo bags.

she replied that she lets them poop in a wooded area, which is the area in question. she saw me out there picking up poop for days after that. when she asked about it, I let her know since my dog was the suspected culprit, I felt I should clean up after whoever was leaving all that poo, so we could all enjoy a poop free area and keep the land owner happy at the same time.

I had a pile about two feet by two feet, and we had to haul that off to the dump because there is no trash service here.

nice lady, but apparently not getting that the poo doesn't just seep into the ground and disappear, it stays there until someone picks it up.

I noticed others are carrying around bags now, since they noticed us picking up loads of dog crap. Hopefully it will sink in, that we know who it is, but don't want to raise a stink about it.

the landlord see's me picking up in our yard every time my dog goes out.

the containment bucket is sitting right there, as is the little shovel we use when we clean up the wooded area where the poo problem is, so I hope he is satisfied it isn't us.

we all have to sign a pet agreement, and it is very clear in it that, all dog waste is to be picked up by the dog owner, and no dogs are to be off leash or unattended.

We get enough snow that trying to get into the middle area to find where your dog just left his poop is difficult. Everyone tries but it wasn't even possible when I was a kid and our dog then, Sassy, headed for a snow drift. As the snow melts we'd scoop. Here all parks, dog or not, have two volunteer days a year for extra trash pick up, rewrapping new tree saplings, laying mulch on trails or in playground areas, etc. Yes, Earth Day started in Wisconsin. We even have river , creek and lake clean ups because the state makes a ton on outdoor sports year round. Like the canoe launch shares the dog park's parking lot. It's a free path to the Yahara that then flows into Lake Mendota.

Yes, dogs need to be social and friendly in the parks but young ones and new rescues get a bit of leeway and hints to first time dog owners. Fighters are expected to leave immediately. Humping is a complex issue. No dig owner should bring a female dog in heat to a park. Talk about a fight and more mixed puppies at the shelter. But humping especially among neutered or spayed dogs is often a form of ritualized play. As long as it is short lived, no huge dog on a small one or any teeth bared it basically embarrasses the owners and the dogs just shake it off quickly and continue playing.

Barney was beaten besides being raised in a boarding facility between families? I would get the Team Work set of books and DVDs or have him evaluated by a animal behaviorist before trying many more social setting tasks. His stubbornness could be violence held in check. I've read many books on dog health and behavior but any dog beaten while young and no real history you can look at I would have evaluated. Most come through just fine but the ones that don't land up as local newspaper headlines. That's not meant to mean Barney is not SD material just I would include it as part of his training like when I added an outside dog trainer for help with getting Maggie off leash.

And yes, most states do combine us into The Department on Aging and Disability. Most though do not expect us to sit around a senior center. They also are tasked with providing information on SSI, Medicare and Medicaid, SSDI and how to sign up for accessible government or Section 8 housing plus most do have information on different activities or groups for the disabled. And for local CILs try scsilc.Com and go to the About Us tab or Google SC CILs and several links for virtual cils came up also.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

thanx KLD. those are several hours away from me however.

there really is nothing like a cil in my area.

it's an hour just to see a physiatrist, and the next closer are in Georgia and north Carolina, which I live close to the boarder of.

sue he's had extensive temperament tests.
    wasn't raised in a shelter. he was caught by another Anatolian owner who says she saw him running down the street. they advertised he'd been found, but no one claimed him. the lady shows them and is also a tech for my vet who has a small eight run rescue shelter. He's a little small for a male but very nice conformation, so I wonder about his being found running the streets by someone who has them to show.
    He did not show any fearfulness until after he came back the second time.

His fearful behavior is gone except for his fear of vacuum cleaners. he hates em even if they are just sitting there not vacuuming. when I say fearfulness, I mean he would flinch, crouch and pee when he was afraid, or flop on the ground and shut down.

I hope to meet other Anatolian SD owners at the UKC show in July. they may be able to recommend trainers who understand the breed.
    this breed of dog is not like any sheep dog breed iv worked with.

he is stubborn and of an independent nature. not for someone who wants a push button obedient dog, but as I said not aggressive.

I do use a prong collar to prevent his pulling on me. he has a second wide leather collar, and his leash has clips at both ends, attached to both collars. the prong is for correcting his habit of leaning into his collar when he is on leash, which is too tiresome for me.

The AS breed is bred to think and respond independently of its owner. For all the training on the world, this is a dog that will do its own thing, make its own decision when it chooses to do so. For that reason alone, this is a poor choice as an assistance dog.

I guess I better not run out of cookies then.