Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Dollar general won't read or understand the service dog ADA laws.

I just had a question what about abuse of this service dog thing how does a homeowner protect themselves from so called pets service dogs that are really pets not saying anyof the above but you guys seem to know the skinny on this

Not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "...a homeowner protect themselves from so called pet service dogs...?"

I have a renter who quote trains service dogs how do you know for sure they are not just saying that to get away with dogs in the house I found out about the dogs after they moved in and had a lease no dogs.

how do you know its legitiamate ? how do you know someone claims to have say a service dogs for seisures how can you verify ? thanks for answering

All you are allowed to ask is what service(s) the service dog provides for the person. It must be some type of physical assistance. So called "comfort" or "emotional support" dogs are not protected under the ADA.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "...a homeowner protect themselves from so called pet service dogs...?"
    Any untrained dog can easily be dressed up as an "Emotional Support Animal". For the cost of a service dog vest purchased on Ebay and a Service Animal certificate/laminated card purchased online, you can keep a pet in an apartment without a deposit. You can also take it into restaurants and other places where pets aren't usually allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Any untrained dog can easily be dressed up as an "Emotional Support Animal". For the cost of a service dog vest purchased on Ebay and a Service Animal certificate/laminated card purchased online, you can keep a pet in an apartment without a deposit. You can also take it into restaurants and other places where pets aren't usually allowed.
    See KLD's response above, that is why I asked the question.

A while ago, NL and I were in a Social Security office waiting for an appointment. A young woman walked in carrying her cat. The office guard asked her if the cat was a service animal. She answered, "Yes." The guard asked no other questions nor requested proof. Protected by the ADA or not, I think most public establishments just won't challenge the legitimacy of a service/comfort animal for fear of being accused of or slammed with a discrimination claim.

In the case of the original poster, the tenant doesn't need a service/comfort animal. The tenant trains "service animals/comfort animals." In this instance, I think the owner of the property is on very solid ground to evict the tenant for violation of the terms of the lease, ADA or not.
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-03-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I have a renter who quote trains service dogs how do you know for sure they are not just saying that to get away with dogs in the house I found out about the dogs after they moved in and had a lease no dogs.

how do you know its legitiamate ? how do you know someone claims to have say a service dogs for seisures how can you verify ? thanks for answering
    I do not think you have to allow a trainer to live in your rental house unless he is training the dog for his own use. If he is a trainer he is running a business and while he is allowed to take the dog anywhere a service dog is allowed your rental house is not one of those places. If you have a no pet policy in the lease or rental agreement then he cannot have a pet there. If her were legit he would have told you up front and said you have to let me because that is the law. I am sure it would be different for a person with a disability but not a trainer unless those people are one in the same. I am not a lawyer nor an expert on the law. Now a person with seizures and a dog that alerts them is a whole different story. Not sure how you can prove or disprove. maybe someone else will chime in. Also this page may help guide you http://servicedogcentral.org/content/faq/61