Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Chair backs. What's your experience?

Rigid Chair backs. What's your experience?

I've been using an ADI carbon fiber chair back for almost a year now and have seen an improvement in my posture and notice that I'm less fatigued toward the end of the day. It took a bit to get used to it, but now I'm glad I made the investment. I'm interested in other peoples' experience, what brands they tried, results, etc..
    "I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man"

The Dude

I tried the adi and just didn't like it. good product but I couldn't adj to it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've got and old Jay J2 back that I would like to replace. I don't like when I arch back there is no padding there just a hard shell edge with a little strip of rubber around it that's wore thru now. Just not sure what to try next?

Got a invacare matrx pb elite bought it in ebay for $70, best thing ever done for my back, huge relief. One day ill get a carbon fiber back.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Blog Entries
    I used ADI on a couple chairs. Didn't see any improvements or detriments so I went back to upholstery. They did look cool, though. Without any functional improvement I just prefer the lighter and simpler option. I'm a big proponent of maximum parsimony especially with equipment I rely on day in and day out. K.I.S.S.!

I've been using hard shell backs since they first came on the market in the mid-'80s and am presently using the ADI carbon fiber back on my chairs. Aside from better postural support (for me), the mounting hardware attachments allow me to have much shorter back posts which allows unobstructed space to move your arms backward without knocking into the back posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've got both ADI and Jay 3 solid backs. Jay 3 backs will over time have their foam slip down and so when you lean back, as mentioned by MMcgif, you'll be bending on the top of the back and not foam. I solved this by cutting and adding a bit of foam at the inside top of the Jay3 cushion cover, then loosening the velcro and rolling the top over the edge and then velcroing back in place. Essentially making the foam roll over the top, over time it will form to the top of the back and stay put. ADI has this advantage over the Jay 3. ADI has their velcro and foam roll over the top better. The Jay 3 offers a bit more adjustability I think, even though it's noticeably heavier. You can also get shorter backs with Jay3. ADI will do an 8" that is a 'custom' and costs a little extra. But to point out what stephen212 said, the post profile is lower with the hard backs. A Jay3 will get you lower than an ADI because of the hardware difference. ADI is a bit more comfy and has better lateral support in my opinion but I am continually trying to force better posture and lower back profile to get more trunk stability so the Jay3 is on my everyday and the ADI is on my off-road chair project.

I have been using the Varilte Icon for about 4 months now and it has been working fine for me. The biggest issue I see with backrests is mounting hardware that works for you and your chair. For me, I use push handles for balance and bending over. This leaves a bolt in the back post, so the hardware cannot be mounted over the bolt, so I have to work around it, plus working around the cross bar, yet achieving the desired back height. I wish I could use simple mounting hardware such as what Stephen has, and maybe I can, but I would have to purchase the backrest to find out. My concern with non-adjustable hardware is that the backrest would have me to far in front of my push handles to lean into them for balance. With an adjustable backrest, I can adjust the angle of the backrest and the back posts to work to my needs.

My mounting bracket for my backrest is below the cross bar, yet I have a mid height back. Optimally the bracket should be higher, but I have the aforementioned bolt and if I went higher, the backrest would necessarily go higher, to high, also.
    Last edited by Brianm; 02-27-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I've been using hard shell backs since they first came on the market in the mid-'80s and am presently using the ADI carbon fiber back on my chairs. Aside from better postural support (for me), the mounting hardware attachments allow me to have much shorter back posts which allows unobstructed space to move your arms backward without knocking into the back posts.
    What is your backrest height and angle on this chair Stephen?

Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    What is your backrest height and angle on this chair Stephen?
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1405622