Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemorroidectomy

Hemorroidectomy

I am a t6-7 and had a hemorroidectomy yesterday. I was wondering if anyone had this done and how long did it take for your first bowel movement. The surgeon told me to load up on laxatives because the worst thing you can do is get constipated. He said I could do manual stimulation but I have to be really careful. My biggest fear is that the stool will not come out and I am going to get really backed up. I have been in the chair for 31 years and got used to my herroids and now it seems so tight. I am really nervous about going.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I made the mistake of using a magic bullet a couple days after my hemorrhoidectomy. I didn't have any output for 4-5 days (because they cleaned me out), so I should have just let it heal, rather than irritate it so soon. Manual stim would be quite irritating and painful (if you feel pain). I didn't feel pain, but I sweat profusely (a sign of pain for me, C5/6 complete quad). I think a mostly clear liquid or low residue diet for a couple days might be smarter than "loading up on laxatives" (but who am I to argue with your surgeon?). If constipation was a problem for you before, at least avoid the most constipating foods, and drink plenty of water.

I wasn't cleaned out before I had the procedure. I am just hoping I go soon. He definitely told me no magic bullets, which I also use on a regular basis. Thanks for replying back. I laid in bed last night and though what did I get myself into.

Post-operatively it is wise to keep the swelling down so use of a suppository or mini-enema is probably not advised, initially. The go is to prevent constipation and take oral laxatives initially.

The surgeons at my hospital will only do a hemorroidectomy if the patient agrees not to perform digital stimulation again. The belief is that the dig stim contributes to the hemorrhoids. They recommend use of a suppository or mini enema for rectal stimulation only for long term use. Personally, I think the suppository can wear on the rectal tissues over time, a mini-enema may be better.

I did not find any documentation that supports use of a suppository at all post hemorrhoidectomy, I'll have to look more into it myself.

pbr

I was just wondering how long was your recovery time? I had my surgery Wednesday morning and still have some bleeding which is probably the most annoying thing right now.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    My recovery time was about 6 weeks. I sweat a lot during that time (due to pain), especially on bowel care (suppository) days, and when my bowels got too full. Re-reading some of my notes, I started laxatives (Milk of Mag) after 6 days, but wished I'd started them sooner. So I hope you did!

This thread has some good info:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...emerroidectomy

And this one talks about recovery time (but mostly able-bodied people):

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Hemorrho...e__t85720.html

Well I am trying everything. Finally went today after drinking a bottle or Magnesium Citrate. I did a nono today and tried manual stim once. I was on the toilet for over an hour and only went a smidge. Once I manual stimulated some came out so at least I know now it is loose. The surgeon said I could do it but lots of lub and go slow. What doesn't make sense to me is when my bowels moan and groan like they do when I drink Magnesium Citrate it is begging to come out. Since I got the surgery nothing is coming through. I am hoping it is because of the swelling and tightness. I will check out the links you sent me and I appreciate your responses.

The lack of bowel movements can be from the swelling and tightness, but also a result of the medications you may have been on in the hospital.

You really need to try not to do manual stimulation for awhile - if at all possible. You will only irritate the area and could possibly be causing new hemorrhoids to start forming. I am sure that one time will not do it, but for future reference.

Are you taking the laxatives as prescribed? What is your diet consisting of? Drinking plenty of fluids (especially water)? Are you able to get up and get moving some?

CKF

I actually ended up going to the ER yesterday, because I busted some of my stitches transferring onto my shower bench and had to have them re stitched. The surgeon checked to make sure that the opening was sufficient to have stool pass through. I have yet to empty out since I had the surgery on the 12th. I drank a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate today and my bowels r reacting but nothing wants to come out. I tried laying on my side and also my husband helped me transfer to my commode chair with the same result nothing coming out. I have been taking stool softners and at times Senekot S. On Friday I added some Milk of Magnesium in the morning. Saturday I drank a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate I went a little and that is when I tried manual stimulation, only by doing that did I actually get something to come out. I have not manually stimulated since then. I am not a big eater and try to stay away from a lot of Carbs. I have added prune juice with pulp to my diet and am trying to eat some fiber rich foods. I just don't understand why the Magnesium Citrate is not flushing it out. It usually cleans me out with no problem. I told the surgeon on Monday when I called him about the bleeding I was having from the torn stitches that I have not emptied my bowels yet and he says to drink the Magnesium Citrate, which I did and have yet to go from it. My abdomen is so blotted and I am getting the urge to go but it just don't budge. I have been doing bowel programs for 31 years and have never been so thrown out of whack.

Let your surgeon know that you have still not emptied your bowels. You may need to get an X-ray to determine how high up the stool is.

CKF