Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 Years

Blog Entries

Smile 21 Years

Today is my 21st anniversary of being crippled! Because the outcome might have been being dead, I now celebrate the anniversary instead of mourning what I lost. After 21 years (and being 67), the things I can not do don't seem as important as they did for the first few anniversaries.

Celebrate Life!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Congratulations on life, Donno! I always enjoy your posts, you are very generous in sharing your knowledge and life experience. I've learned a lot from you.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Great attitude Donno. How are you doing with age related issues?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Great attitude Donno. How are you doing with age related issues?
    Not as bad as I had anticipated. I'm 67 and starting to slow down - not as much energy or endurance as 5 years ago. I'm hoping that part of that is this looong winter. My wife and I drove down to Atlanta to visit my son in January, and we went for a pretty long stroll in Piedmont Park on one of the days it got up to 62. I can also feel my short term memory start to slip, but it does not seem any worse than any of my friends that are over 65, and better than some. Neuropathic pain is getting harder to ignore unless I get really immersed in work, but still manageable.

On the plus side, bowel and bladder issues are pretty minor.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Congrats Donno, you rock. Thanks for all you contribute.

You've got a great attitude. I wanted to comment on years, timing, age of onset, but it's just too deep a subject for me to want to think about. I know I can relate, but to explain our differences and similarities,,...opppss this goes down that road too. Congratulations on being a great survivor, which is what it is all about.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Donno - we were injured at the same time in life - I was 45 and you 46. I am only 12 years post SCi. I don't know if I can may it to 21 years out. All the sucky aspects - neuropathic pain, bowel , bladder, pain, loss of mobility and did I mention unrelenting pain. But life can be good. Can still work and get into a kayak for a paddle. got a 23 year old son , I want to see what he does, and have a wife who wants me around..

I think it will boil down to not being able to do something that just doesn't feel right going on. Or a medical complication that I don't want to put up with. I don't claim to know how I will feel then. Maybe just watching flowers grow will suffice and listing to all of beethoven, we will see.

Congratulations, Donno.

Donno, You possess a lightness of being that comes straight at me just from your avatar photos not to mention the unfailingly positive spirit evident in so many of your postings here. You're doing something very right. Congratulations on your aliveness.

Donno, you are doing great as the years tick by. When you can look back at what you have accomplished post injury the sting of the injury seems to subside. Let's face it, just thumbing your nose at the grim reaper is a real accomplishment for us. Keep on going.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Good luck with the rest of your years. Done good.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt