Thread: Nortriptyline For Pain Anyone?

Nortriptyline For Pain Anyone?

I tried 600mg. of Neurontin 3 x day but it didn't seem to work very much for the neuropathy in my right elbow, wrist, hand and fingers. But I also began to experience some mental dullness, a little forgetful and I was losing digital dexterity (dropping utensils, pills, keys, coins, etc.) so I didn't want to increase te dosage. So the doc at the pain clinic put me on Nortriptyline, 25mg. Once a day for a week then 50mg. once a day. Anyone here had success with Nortriptyline at all? Thanks.

I haven't tried Nortriptyline but use Amytriptyline. I assume it is in the same class. I take it at night to help sleep. It hasn't done to much with nerve pain for me but does help me sleep. I take a 75mg about two hours before I go to bed.
    Feel free to email me at joemonte@nep.net. I can answer some questions and tell you what I have tried over the last seven years. I wish you well.
    Best Regards,
    Joe

We often do a trial of low dose tricyclic antidepressants (which both of these drugs are classified as) for pain management. This is an off-lable use for this class of drugs, but for some, it does help with neuropathic pain. Because they are also sedating, we usually give at bedtime, and they can cause problems with urinary retention if you are using reflex voiding. If you are doing intermittent cath or have an indwelling catheter, they actually can also help to reduce leakage.

Certainly worth a try.

(KLD)

Smokey, all your pain is in your upper right side? Have you had an EMG or MRI to see if there might be a cause that could be fixed? I tried amytriptyline once in rehab and talk about a bad trip. I obviously missed nothing fun in high school when acid was all the rage. I know many that it helps but yes, it's a bedtime drug.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, yes I've had an EMG and MRI but it showed nothing. I do have a brachial plexus injury on that arm/shoulder/neck. I'm fairly certain that is the root of my problem. When i was around 19-20 years old I too hada "sweet tooth" for acid, mushrooms and other hallucinogens. Loved it. I've been taking the Nortriptyline for about 5 days now and I'm not feeling any pain relief yet. Not looking for a high or buzz-on at all. I am 60 and really enjoy being straight and clear headed all the time.

KLD, I do catheterize intermittently so urine retention not an issue. I take the Nortriptyline at night.

All this came about when I took Prednisone for a month to reduce inflammation in my rectal stump (I was bleeding a little). Anyway, I quickly realized I felt no pain in my right elbow, wrist, hand and fingers whatsoever for the first time in 37 years! When I stopped the Prednisone the pain came right back. My wife suggested I should try a pan clinic at Mass. General since I ad never been there before. I had seen an upper extremities orthopedic surgeon who said there was nothing he could do about the brachial plexus injury but he did X-ray my elbow and hand. My primary care doc had put me on Relafen a few years ago for a while but it dd nothing. So I always assumed I just had to live with the pain, eat Tylenol and grit my teeth. Also, I recently broke a tooth and cracked a filling. My dentist said I had rough spts on my teeth and I was probably grinding and clenching my teeth. I suppose it was due to the pain but that's just the way it was. So maybe there is something out there that can provide me with some relief.
    Last edited by smokey; 02-14-2014 at 09:52 PM.

I take it at night only, it does help with neuro pain, but knocks me out. So works great for what I use it for, a night time aid.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Yea, if it's a brachial injury that's going too be a tough one. The pain clinic can't hurt. If prednisone helped they might try another drug used for inflammatory pain like an ATNF. I never had a thing for the hallucinogens. All it took to keep me away from those was a drug pamphlet with the words "drug induced schizophrenia" in it. I had several friends describe bad trips and that's what 25mg of Elavil did to me. The pain doc scratched that off his list and moved on.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I've tried both Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline, with and without Lyrica. No pain relief from either. Also no drowsiness, surprisingly (I currently take 50 mg. Amitrip, 2 mg. Lorazepam, and 5 mg. Ambien, plus 100 mg. Lyrica and 10 mg. Baclofen at bedtime - no drowsiness.)
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.