Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy

Colostomy

I'm seriously considering getting one done. I'm a c3c4 quad injured almost 24 years. I've been weighing the pluses vs the minuses and the pluses seem to out weigh the minuses.. I'm looking for any information from individuals who have one. The pluses vs minuses. Any information is appreciated.

Now that we are using vBulletin 4... instead of vBulletin 5..., I think our search routine is working again. Go to the top of the page on the right side below the Welcome. There you will find Advanced Search. You will find a lot of discussion to review.

All the best,
    GJ

Ok thanks

Older threads that might help

New Colostomy

Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Thanks! I'm doing alot of reading. I'm seriously considering it.

I'm a C 4/5 30 years post I got my colostomy bag a year ago September and it was the best decision I've made. It's made dealing with the unpleasantness of a bowel program much easier :-)
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I have heard much of the same positives that Cowboys_Place stated. It is a decision that only you can make, but if it helps, I can not think of anyone I know that had the surgery and has since regretted it. It is a big decision though and you need to do your due diligence.
    CKF

and it is reversible, just not so easily as a suprapubic.

(and if I could, this would be an edit of above)

66yo T12 injured 95, colostomy 2/12-it has been a good decision! Makes life much easier.

I'm hoping to talk to a surgeon next week about getting a colostomy. How should I approach them about getting it done? I have Medicare. For me the main reasons are during bc (between 3 - 4 hours) my blood pressure stays up because of the digital stim (I have hemorrhoids so they get inflamed during the whole process), my shoulders hurt during the whole process and pretty much the rest of the day because I am on my side during it and from my nurse rolling me over each time you check, I sweat during the whole process from the digital stim and I usually sweat the night before because my stomach gets so bloated. Main reasons that aren't medically necessary are so much easier and quicker, I wouldn't have to watch what I eat every time I do something because I can just empty the bag when it's ready vs watching what I eat because I know I will start sweating because my stomach is bloated and I can have my life back. Any information is appreciated.