Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    How are your nights? Do you have to worry about emptying the bag?
    Good question! The nights are the hardest for me. Not because the bag might fill up, but because there's not enough gravity to keep the stool from piling up around the stoma and causing a leak. Whenever I wake up in bed, I feel the top of the bag and push any stool down. It's more of a problem when I'm sleeping on my right side (less/no gravity). It helps a lot that I sleep in a hospital bed, so I can use the hand rails and trapeze to move around or turn, and raise the head of the bed if necessary. When I'm not at home, I usually sleep on my left side, so gravity can help as much as possible.

Did you get a sigmoid (thick stool, eventually) or transverse colostomy (thinner stool)? I think you would change bags with sigmoid (that's what I have) and empty them with transverse.

I always empty/change the bag right before going to bed, since I can't change it in bed. Otherwise, filling up might be a problem. I'm only in bed 5-7 hours. The stoma is usually most active as I'm waking up, and getting up (5-7am).

With transverse you might never get the night flow problem that I get. But with sigmoid, you can irrigate so that there will be no output at night. That is what I'm starting to do (in my 3rd week now).

I've had 4 leaks in about 10 weeks of having a colostomy. None caused a real mess. The last two leaks I didn't even know about. Stool had only just started pushing under the wafer (not broken through). I only saw it when we changed the wafer. It didn't damage my skin, probably because the stool was so thick. The other two leaks were both in bed. One was just because we hadn't snapped the bag on all the way, and the stool forced its way through. My nurse arrived in the morning before it ever hit the sheets. The other leak came out under the wafer, on one of those nights when I slept on my right side (no gravity). The main cause of leaks for me is keeping the wafer on too long. I don't use anything except the wafer itself (e.g. no skin prep), so my limit seems to be about 4 days. I've never had a leak before the 4th day. I change the wafer twice a week.

I started using convex wafers after 8 weeks (when all swelling was gone). They stay on better (stool can't get under as easily, because the stoma protrudes a little more), and I don't need barrier rings. But everybody is different.

[QUOTE=dnvrdave;1729679]Good question! The nights are the hardest for me. Not because the bag might fill up, but because there's not enough gravity to keep the stool from piling up around the stoma and causing a leak. Whenever I wake up in bed, I feel the top of the bag and push any stool down. It's more of a problem when I'm sleeping on my right side (less/no gravity). It helps a lot that I sleep in a hospital bed, so I can use the hand rails and trapeze to move around or turn, and raise the head of the bed if necessary. When I'm not at home, I usually sleep on my left side, so gravity can help as much as possible.

Dnvrdave- try spraying some Pam cooking spray in the bag before you go to bed at night. It's harmless and will help the stool slide down the bag. I used it when I was on bed rest and it worked great.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Keep us posted on how things are going. You are taking control over your life and that is a good thing. Hopefully your post-op course and adjustment will be smooth sailing, but just remember that it may not be quite that good in the beginning. Give yourself time to figure things out and you will do fine.

I am surprised about the no-clean out, and would double check on that. But I have learned that each doc does his/her own thing, so .....

Good luck.

CKF

Did you get a sigmoid (thick stool, eventually) or transverse colostomy (thinner stool)? I think you would change bags with sigmoid (that's what I have) and empty them with transverse.

I believe it's a sigmoid (stoma is on the left side). I empty the bag before going to bed. Last night I had a good amount during the night. I was in bed most of the day taking it easy very minimal sweat I got into my chair just to get up and started getting alot more sweat. Is it the pressure on my stomach?

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I empty the bag before going to bed. Last night I had a good amount during the night. I was in bed most of the day taking it easy very minimal sweat I got into my chair just to get up and started getting a lot more sweat. Is it the pressure on my stomach?
    I found that I sweat less now that stool and gas can be expelled more readily with a colostomy. It's hard to say what caused your sweating. Your surgery was 12 days ago, right? Can you relate it to your diet? How long did it last? Do you sweat when there is a pain stimulation (I do). I just checked my notes: I stood (using standing table) 12 days after my surgery. And then I sweat for the next two days. So maybe it is related to pressure on the stomach (for both of us). Especially since you are probably still getting rid of the gas they filled your abdomen with.

Did you keep the rectal stub? I did: the last 12 inches. That means there will probably be rectal leakage. It happened for me on day 6 and day 8 after the surgery, when I was on the commode chair after taking a shower. Then it happened for 9 days in a row in the wheelchair, starting on day 14, right after those two sweaty days. I sat on a chux pad, so it wouldn't mess up the Roho cushion cover. It wasn't a lot, but definitely wet (mucous). Your sweating could also be related to the rectal stub if you have one. I had no more rectal leaks until I started irrigating, 8 weeks post surgery. And now it happens every time I irrigate the colostomy, 6-20 oz of watery mucous discharged from the rectum/anus. It's no big deal, if you are prepared.

I switched from emptying bags to changing them at 2 weeks post surgery, because the stool got too thick to empty easily, too messy. If you have a sigmoid colostomy, you may want to do the same thing. But it also depends on your diet. I take psyllium to make it thicker.
    Last edited by dnvrdave; 04-17-2014 at 12:17 AM.

YOu guys seem to have this under control. Thanks for all your input!
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    I found that I sweat less now that stool and gas can be expelled more readily with a colostomy. It's hard to say what caused your sweating. Your surgery was 12 days ago, right? Can you relate it to your diet? How long did it last? Do you sweat when there is a pain stimulation (I do). I just checked my notes: I stood (using standing table) 12 days after my surgery. And then I sweat for the next two days. So maybe it is related to pressure on the stomach (for both of us). Especially since you are probably still getting rid of the gas they filled your abdomen with.

Did you keep the rectal stub? I did: the last 12 inches. That means there will probably be rectal leakage. It happened for me on day 6 and day 8 after the surgery, when I was on the commode chair after taking a shower. Then it happened for 9 days in a row in the wheelchair, starting on day 14, right after those two sweaty days. I sat on a chux pad, so it wouldn't mess up the Roho cushion cover. It wasn't a lot, but definitely wet (mucous). Your sweating could also be related to the rectal stub if you have one. I had no more rectal leaks until I started irrigating, 8 weeks post surgery. And now it happens every time I irrigate the colostomy, 6-20 oz of watery mucous discharged from the rectum/anus. It's no big deal, if you are prepared.

I switched from emptying bags to changing them at 2 weeks post surgery, because the stool got too thick to empty easily, too messy. If you have a sigmoid colostomy, you may want to do the same thing. But it also depends on your diet. I take psyllium to make it thicker.
    Right now as I type this I'm in bed. I just ate breakfast (oatmeal and a piece of toast with peanut butter). No sweating as of yet. What is pain stimulation? I'm definitely still getting rid of the gas. To me when I start sweating it feels like things are moving. It's not a constant sweat. I'll get sweaty for a few minutes and no sweat for a little while then sweat again.

I did keep the rectal stub. Just in case it needed to or I wanted to reverse it back. I haven't had any rectal leakage. Does it just come out on its own?

I have a friend coming over with some supplies and I'm going to try some different things out. I definitely need a different waffer. The one I have the stool just gathers around the ring where the bag attaches. He said he has one that will work better. I will probably go to the disposable bags. It will be much easier.

Last night I got freaked out. We were changing my 24fr sp catheter and couldn't get a new one to go in. We finally ended up getting a 20fr in. That is the first time that has ever happened. I'm not sure if the surgery had anything to do with it.

I will be getting up later on. We will see how things go.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 04-17-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: na

Got up into my power chair to get out of bed.. Didn't have any sweat.. A couple hours later tilted back playing on the computer I looked down and my bag was very big I thought it was air nope it was full of the good stuff alot of it we emptied it and it filled up again.. Most I've seen so far.. Hopefully that was the cause of my sweating..

Got up into my power chair to get out of bed.. Didn't have any sweat.. A couple hours later tilted back playing on the computer I looked down and my bag was very big I thought it was air nope it was full of the good stuff alot of it we emptied it and it filled up again.. Most I've seen so far.. Hopefully that was the cause of my sweating..
    I think the surgeons use air or somethng to push the stool up into the colon while doing the surgery. It takes days and sometimes more for it to be expelled and when it does, it's a lot of gas and loose stool.

Mine came as I was in the womens restroom of a car dealership; about 12 days post surgery. The mens was not accessible and the womens was barely. Man I blew that stuff all over the place. Had to get my car put back together so I could go home and clean up. I would ate to be the person who had to clean it up, must have smelled bigtime. I felt bad at first but if they had made the restrooms accessible when they did the big remodeling, it wouldn't have happened. I'm sure a woman went in there and probably bout fainted. I can laugh at it now, but then with it being so new, It was daunting to say the least.

I'm sure it was the reason for your sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I think the surgeons use air or somethng to push the stool up into the colon while doing the surgery. It takes days and sometimes more for it to be expelled and when it does, it's a lot of gas and loose stool.

Mine came as I was in the womens restroom of a car dealership; about 12 days post surgery. The mens was not accessible and the womens was barely. Man I blew that stuff all over the place. Had to get my car put back together so I could go home and clean up. I would ate to be the person who had to clean it up, must have smelled bigtime. I felt bad at first but if they had made the restrooms accessible when they did the big remodeling, it wouldn't have happened. I'm sure a woman went in there and probably bout fainted. I can laugh at it now, but then with it being so new, It was daunting to say the least.

I'm sure it was the reason for your sweating.
    It wasn't so bad that there was a serious problem. If I had been out we would of swapped bags and I would of been fine. I was shocked on the amount of output. Of course I did go a week with no output. I think I made up for it. I'm still learning as I go.