Thread: QuadStick: The video game controller for quadriplegics

QuadStick: The video game controller for quadriplegics

http://www.quadstick.com
    "The QuadStick is a mouth operated joystick, with multiple sip & puff sensors, a lip position sensor, and a push switch, connected to a 32 bit ARM processor that converts the sensor inputs into USB and Bluetooth signals for PC's & Game consoles.The QuadStick appears to the host device as a PS3 compatible Gamepad, Mouse, Keyboard and Flash drive. The connections between the input sensors and the signals sent to the host are configurable by the user and can be changed between preconfigured profiles, while playing a game, to match different stages of the game
    The idea for the QuadStick came from an interview with Ken Yankelevitz about hisQuadControl joystick for Quadriplegics. In the article, Ken's desire to find someone to continue his work was mentioned.
    I have been developing digital hardware and software products since the beginning of the microprocessor era. I have designed more than a dozen circuit boards, including the board layout and manufacturing setup, and worked on numerous software projects in a variety of languages. Ever since a member of my family was victimized by Lou Gehrig's disease, I have been looking for an opportunity to apply my skill set towards something that would be of benefit to someone in a similar situation.
    Once I saw this picture (to the right), on the QuadControl website, I had no doubt about what I was going to work on and contacted Ken.
    When I surveyed the existing products on the market, most seemed to be either inflexible adaptations of off-the-shelf gamepads with additional switches that left the user without precise position control, they lacked the ability to precisely time the moment when a signal activated or the ability to change the setup to match the changing situation in a game. The more capable systems were often elaborate and expensive and required a great deal of physical preparation and expertise to set up
    The goals of the QuadStick are to provide an inexpensive, self contained tool that allows the disabled gamer to play video games at a high level and participate as an equal in the social communities that form around them.
    Fred Davison
    Great Falls, Montana"
    Last edited by PeteShick; 02-12-2014 at 04:34 PM.